• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Would weary taxpayers welcome a new right wing party offering tax cuts and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring?

patslatt

Would weary taxpayers welcome a new right wing party offering tax cuts and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring?

As taxes keep rising,seemingly grinding taxpayers into the ground and as front line government services are cut despite tax increases,the stage should be set for the emergence of a new right wing party. Would weary taxpayers welcome a party offering a tax cutting agenda and demanding negotiations for government debt restructuring? With cuts in public sector pay to private sector levels,maybe €5 billion could be saved, while large scale public sector redundancies could save billions more given a successful drive to computerise administration. Interest on the national debt could be cut by billions if the government succeeded in demands on creditors for debt restucturing to cut interest rates on the national debt and extend debt maturities to 30 years or more. It is likely the government would receive the backing of Spain,Italy and Greece in this negotiation. There is a precedent for this in the "Brady Bonds" rescue of South American countries,principally Mexico and Brazil, that were threatened with insolvency in the late 1980s.

Last edited:

BlackLion

Populist parties don't rise in support in desperate time cause they are so much fun, they rise cause they say what the people want, not what they need. Right wing parties are generally seen as the austerity pushers and left wing are the opposite. In the coming years it will be a left wing party or a centre left party or (FF) that will be picked. The Irish people have 0 IQ when it comes to politics see GE's of 02,07,11 for example of why. sooner or later they will vote in who offers an easy way out.

patslatt

Populist parties don't rise in support in desperate time cause they are so much fun, they rise cause they say what the people want, not what they need. Right wing parties are generally seen as the austerity pushers and left wing are the opposite. In the coming years it will be a left wing party or a centre left party or (FF) that will be picked. The Irish people have 0 IQ when it comes to politics see GE's of 02,07,11 for example of why. sooner or later they will vote in who offers an easy way out.
We've had as much austerity as we can take,because it was mostly savage tax increases coupled with poor management of spending controls. An austerity programme focused largely on our overpaid,overpensioned public sector would be popular with private sector workers.

southwestkerry

If their was a right wing party set up next month I would be all for it myself.
I do not know about the rest off the country though, realistically I would say a right wing party might get 20% off the vote at very most.
Unless off course their was some big names behind it to carry its image then it may mop up undecided types who pass their vote around.

stoichkov

after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

i mean, look around you. see how good it's been for the country.

BlackLion

We've had as much austerity as we can take,because it was mostly savage tax increases coupled with poor management of spending controls. An austerity programme focused largely on our overpaid,overpensioned public sector would be popular with private sector workers.
No we haven't. Whats makes you think that? When thousands are on the streets instead of a few dozen ever so often, then we have had enough austerity.

BlackLion

after many decades of right-wing, free-market politics, it now seems clear that ireland just needs more of the same.

Right parties? Who FG? FF? Lab? your view of a Right party is the same way a ULA member would look at anyone that doesn't agree with them. There are no main stream right wing parties in Ireland.

southwestkerry

If their has been so much right wing politics here was was their so much spending on the civil service and welfare and non on the armed forces. Those two points been the hallmark off right wing politics.

Franzoni

One of the few,and i mean single digit (in fact one ) points Conor Lendahand ever made that i thought made sense.. was along the lines of countries in recessions like ours usually swing to the right not to the left.....

Were a conservative country for the most part...i'm suprised that they haven't already come out of the woodwork...........

Franzoni

Right parties? Who FG? FF? Lab? your view of a Right party is the same way a ULA member would look at anyone that doesn't agree with them. There are no main stream right wing parties in Ireland.

Parts of Fine Gael and some of the former PD's would be at home in some of the more anti euro bits of the Tory's................

R

Ramps

There would probably be a fair bit of support for a party with a debt-restructuring policy; as for reducing tax....while most people think their particular tax liability is too great, they'd be reluctant to see anyone who earns more than they earn paying less tax.

You only have to look at the attitudes of people to the absurd Child Benefit scheme to see how wedded they are to the (ever growing) involvement of the State in the economy; there is no way you can have such an involvement by the State and reduce taxes significantly.

BlackLion

Parts of Fine Gael and some of the former PD's would be at home in some of the more anti euro bits of the Tory's................
doesn't mean it's fully right wing. Most of the anti-euro PDs and FG don't like the EU cause by their conservative nature, they don't like being controlled.

Franzoni

doesn't mean it's fully right wing. Most of the anti-euro PDs and FG don't like the EU cause by their conservative nature, they don't like being controlled.
True....thats the nature of irish politics and it shows the cowardice of the current crop.....i'll say one thing for dessie o'malley ...he might of been a pissed off FFer but he had the courage of his convictions to try and do something different.....

I went to the protest outside the GPO and them fukkers led us to believe there was a new left wing party going to develop.....too many within irish poltics and social life with the grand old duke of york mentality........they will piss people off too far and then wonder why a bloodbath ensues.........

McTell

Twitter
No
Doesn't have to be a right-wing party, unless by right-wing you mean an ability to count. Voters prefer ex-GAA players so you'd need a few of them on board.

Con Gallagher

In the latest poll the three centre/populist parties had 64% of support (up to 1987, that would have been over 90%).

This country could do with 1. Implementing the McCarthy report 2. Red lining public sector pay and conditions for new entrants at much lower levels 3. Reducing dependency on the State 4. Less red tape and costs for business 5. More Accountability not less (eg the whips/party allegiance should go in the Seanad).

However, the country also needs 1. Public services in return for fair taxes 2. A universal basic income system 3. A unified waiting list for health 4. Taxing private education to subsidise cost of secular education 5. A higher effective corporation tax.

Obviously, having taken on the burden of private banking debt, and can't get the money back we need to spread that burden to European taxpayers through either taxes or inflation.

In short, this country needs a choice between a left and a right wing party and we need to dump centre/populist pension gatherers.

patslatt

Populist policies in which government spending exploded hardly qualify as right wing as they made the tax cuts unsustainable.

Dreaded_Estate

Except that is factually incorrect most of the austerity has been on the spending side and rightly so.

Plebian

Sorry for butting in, but could someone tell me who these Eurosceptic FGers are?

patslatt

There would probably be a fair bit of support for a party with a debt-restructuring policy; as for reducing tax....while most people think their particular tax liability is too great, they'd be reluctant to see anyone who earns more than they earn paying less tax.

You only have to look at the attitudes of people to the absurd Child Benefit scheme to see how wedded they are to the (ever growing) involvement of the State in the economy; there is no way you can have such an involvement by the State and reduce taxes significantly.
Except that is factually incorrect most of the austerity has been on the spending side and rightly so.
Current spending continued to increase. Capital spending which mostly affects the private sector contractors was cut.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies