• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

potholedogger

Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

One of the pro choice arguments for making abortion available in Ireland is that it would be more convenient than travelling to the UK.

Personally I believe that abortion customers would be likely to value the increased privacy of a UK abortion over the supposed convenience of an Irish Abortion if such were permitted under similar conditions as they are in the UK.

Very few people admit they have had abortions in the way they might admit they had some other medical procedure done.

It is very likely in my opinion, that pro life campaigners would seek to identify customers for abortion services in any clinic in Ireland.

Essentially I am asking would an abortion clinic be a viable commercial proposition if abortion was liberalised as an essentially on demand service?

lying eyes

One of the pro choice arguments for making abortion available in Ireland is that it would be more convenient than travelling to the UK.

Personally I believe that abortion customers would be likely to value the increased privacy of a UK abortion over the supposed convenience of an Irish Abortion if such were permitted under similar conditions as they are in the UK.

Very few people admit they have had abortions in the way they might admit they had some other medical procedure done.

It is very likely in my opinion, that pro life campaigners would seek to identify customers for abortion services in any clinic in Ireland.

Essentially I am asking would an abortion clinic be a viable commercial proposition if abortion was liberalised as an essentially on demand service?
Yes, people would still travel, for all sorts of reasons. Yes a clinic here would do very well, as time moves on, people feel more free to do as they please.

potholedogger

Yes, people would still travel, for all sorts of reasons. Yes a clinic here would do very well, as time moves on, people feel more free to do as they please.
It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping into someone you know?

Last edited:

Nemesiscorporation

At the start most women would still goto England and farther afield due to the social pressures attached to abortion in Ireland.

However as time went on more women would start to have there abortions in Ireland until eventually it normalised.

I would assume the first women to attend abortion clinics in Ireland would not be native Irish as they do not get subjected to the same social pressures and eventually Irish women would start to follow.

At the start most women would still goto England and farther afield due to the social pressures attached to abortion in Ireland.

However as time went on more women would start to have there abortions in Ireland until eventually it normalised.

I would assume the first women to attend abortion clinics in Ireland would not be native Irish as they do not get subjected to the same social pressures and eventually Irish women would start to follow.
who knows

petaljam

You don't seriously think that that is even remotely possible, do you? :shock:

As for your other question, about whether women would still go to the UK, since I read in here that the estimates of the frequency of abortions among Irish women suggest that numbers are similar to in the UK, I think the answer is that it probably depends on how much more restrictive the rules are.

life is cheap to them there is no chance they would fork out on a trip

Hitch 22

It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping int someone you know?
People should mind their own f*cking business and people shouldn't be ashamed to live their own lives as they please.
What business is it of anyone else if someone is gay or straight, whether they are using contraceptives or not, whether they are unmarried and living together or if they are virgins on their wedding night, whether they have abortions or whether they have 15 children?
The private lives of other people are none of my concern.
Any woman who wants an abortion should have the right to choose to have one if she likes.
Screw these anti-sex, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-contraceptives, anti-abortion, anti-divorce, bible thumping Catholic f*cknuts.
Can you image what these maniacs will get up to outside abortion clinics in Ireland if they ever become legal?

"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

H. l. Mencken.

White Horse

People should mind their own f*cking business and people shouldn't be ashamed to live their own lives as they please.
What business is it of anyone else if someone is gay or straight, whether they are using contraceptives or not, whether they are unmarried and living together or if they are virgins on their wedding night, whether they have abortions or whether they have 15 children?
The private lives of other people are none of concern.
Any woman who wants an abortion should have the right to choose to have one if she likes.
Screw these anti-sex, anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-contraceptives, anti-abortion, anti-divorce, bible thumping Catholic f*cknuts.
Yeah, who cares if a husband beats his wife or rapes his kid.

Everything goes. Eh?

potholedogger

Is the fact that abortion is illegal in Ireland under most circumstances, but that it is lawful to travel to procure an abortion elsewhere, softening the attitude towards abortion in Ireland?

The Owl

Is the fact that abortion is illegal in Ireland under most circumstances, but that it is lawful to travel to procure an abortion elsewhere, softening the attitude towards abortion in Ireland?
Generally, I think people are beginning to realise that exporting our problems and not learning to deal with our own but ignoring them is quite pathetic. We are our own nation. The people have already voted on this matter, the Law has already judged on this matter, now we wait for the gombeens in the Dáil to forget about their career/money prospects and do what they were voted in to do. That is legislate. We shall see, but I have faith in our people.

Victor Meldrew

It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping into someone you know?
I bumped into a former boss in the therapist's waiting room....

Awkward is an understatement. Gave me something to talk to the therapist about...

Probably gave him more though...

Wife and I have met respective colleagues and their partners in the OBG's too.. Ireland is very small. Even "High walls - good neighbours " bits of Dublin are very small...

Victor Meldrew

Generally, I think people are beginning to realise that exporting our problems and not learning to deal with our own but ignoring them is quite pathetic. We are our own nation. The people have already voted on this matter, the Law has already judged on this matter, now we wait for the gombeens in the Dáil to forget about their career/money prospects and do what they were voted in to do. That is legislate. We shall see, but I have faith in our people.
A good point in the letters page today about gathering stats on why women end up having terminations might reduce the termination rates.

And I completely agree with not exporting our problems. It is cowardly.

The OP is right though, and, in particular, if there is any sort of "grovelling before an ethics board", then most will just opt for the UK if they can, in any way, afford it.

Of course, that "TFMR" Terminations for Medical reasons - eg Edwards syndrome, is outside the scope of the proposed legislation is just shameful.

pandora

That has been the legal position for 20 years, and the practical position for over forty years. Ever since abortion was legalised in Britain Irish women have traveled there for abortions. Before that they had illegal abortions here.
Most people have formed a moral view on abortion and their attitudes aren't based on the legal position. People are 'pro choice' although abortion is illegal and will continue to hold that view if it were legal. 'Pro life' supporters don't change their views if they leave Ireland and go to live in a country where abortion is legal and certainly won't change their views if abortion is ever legalised in Ireland.

reddymix

Revealed: the abortion advice that could put lives at risk - National News - Independent.ie

Abortion providers care not one jot for women's safety.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/2-Workers-From-Ghoulish-Abortion-Clinic-Plead-Guilty-to-Murder-132715603.html

Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, said he was “shocked” by the findings of the CQC’s audit and was preparing to report doctors and organisations to the police. Many clinics may be stripped of the licences that allow them to offer abortions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9161735/One-in-five-abortion-clinics-breaks-law.html

Last edited:

pippakin

Yes for a while I think most women would still go to England there is a serious social stigma attached to the abortion issue here. At the moment if there are life saving abortions they are mostly not known about when that changes opinions will relax and the stigma will fade.

reddymix

But allowing travel for abortion on demand must undermine the moral argument against it?
you're reaching.

But there there is the argument that introducing 'limited' abortion is always used as an excuse for abortion on demand. e.g. Canada

Before 1969, the Criminal Code of Canada prohibited abortion unless the mother’s life was at risk. An amendment was added to the abortion section (251) in 1969 to allow abortions if the mother’s life or health was threatened. Abortions had to be approved by a therapeutic abortion committee. The word health was broadly interpreted to include economic, social, psychological, or physical health, leading to abortion on demand. In 1988, the law was completely struck down by the Supreme Court of Canada, leaving no law at all. Since that time, the number of abortions has escalated to over 100,000 per year.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies