Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

Fra_south_Derry

Yes for a while I think most women would still go to England there is a serious social stigma attached to the abortion issue here. At the moment if there are life saving abortions they are mostly not known about when that changes opinions will relax and the stigma will fade.
I remember watching a channel 4 program several years ago where women during the discussion compared it to getting a tooth removed.

That's apparently progressive. Life is meaningless to these pro abortion nutjobs.

pippakin

I remember watching a channel 4 program several years ago where women during the discussion compared it to getting a tooth removed.

That's apparently progressive. Life is meaningless to these pro abortion nutjobs.
If a woman feels she needs an abortion then frankly whatever she needs to see her through it is fine with me. Its no good to keep telling someone its this or that, she already knows. Her decision is based on her circumstances and her ability to cope.

pandora

But allowing travel for abortion on demand must undermine the moral argument against it?
It does, but as we discovered in 1992 the alternative is to refuse to allow ANY pregnant woman (or girl) to leave the country until her baby is delivered. When we realised that the 'safety valve' of exporting our problems might be closed off we rushed to the polls to keep it open. We also voted to make sure that women could access all the information they needed on the subject, including advertisments for abortion providers.

Many people in Ireland share the position of Regina Doherty TD. They are pro-life, unless it is them or their daughter who 'needs' an abortion. Then they want to be able to travel for one and thanks to our especially amended constitution they can and everybody is happy.

stopdoingstuff

Look at it this way. Abortion should be a family event that brings a couple closer, and with non-stop Premier league action 8 or 9 months of the year, it would be a shame to waste an opportunity.

reddymix

Yes for a while I think most women would still go to England there is a serious social stigma attached to the abortion issue here. At the moment if there are life saving abortions they are mostly not known about when that changes opinions will relax and the stigma will fade.
There is a 'serious social stigma attached to the abortion issue' in England too.

Hitch 22

This woman from America has made youtube videos about her abortion experience in 2010.
She had one to save her life and because she is already bringing up an autistic child.

[video=youtube;59Ud3g2ymOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ud3g2ymOM[/video]

[video=youtube;fu4OPP177_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu4OPP177_M[/video]

[video=youtube;Fowl1361B0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fowl1361B0c[/video]

potholedogger

It does, but as we discovered in 1992 the alternative is to refuse to allow ANY pregnant woman (or girl) to leave the country until her baby is delivered. When we realised that the 'safety valve' of exporting our problems might be closed off we rushed to the polls to keep it open. We also voted to make sure that women could access all the information they needed on the subject, including advertisments for abortion providers.

Many people in Ireland share the position of Regina Doherty TD. They are pro-life, unless it is them or their daughter who 'needs' an abortion. Then they want to be able to travel for one and thanks to our especially amended constitution they can and everybody is happy.
We don't stop people going into banks incase they might rob one. We do prosecute people who rob banks after visiting one though!

Just because the Constitution allows the right to travel to another State that does not mean it allows the freedom to travel for an abortion.

"This subsection shall not limit freedom to travel between the State and another state."

It is possible to prosecute people who commit treason against the State abroad. Why not prosecute people who procure abortions abroad? Would that force a more permissive attitude to abortion in Ireland?

Aindriu

It is very difficult to go anywhere in Ireland without bumping into someone you know?
Really? I was down in West Cork recently. Didn't see one person I knew. petunia

potholedogger

Really? I was down in West Cork recently. Didn't see one person I knew. petunia
I believe you!

But did anyone that knows you, see you down there, and what you were doing down there.

The same principal would apply if you were having an abortion in Ireland!

SilverSpurs

Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

One of the pro choice arguments for making abortion available in Ireland is that it would be more convenient than travelling to the UK.

Personally I believe that abortion customers would be likely to value the increased privacy of a UK abortion over the supposed convenience of an Irish Abortion if such were permitted under similar conditions as they are in the UK.

Very few people admit they have had abortions in the way they might admit they had some other medical procedure done.

It is very likely in my opinion, that pro life campaigners would seek to identify customers for abortion services in any clinic in Ireland.

Essentially I am asking would an abortion clinic be a viable commercial proposition if abortion was liberalised as an essentially on demand service?
Well Tasmania used to have a very restrictive abortion regime and it was argued that it was "hypocrisy" to make women fly to Melbourne or Sydney so they opened it up to be much less restrictive but Tasmanian women still fly to Melbourne and Sydney.

wickalah

Is the fact that abortion is illegal in Ireland under most circumstances, but that it is lawful to travel to procure an abortion elsewhere, softening the attitude towards abortion in Ireland?
I would suspect the opposite.

I think that if it was not possible to have an abortion in the UK and every woman who became pregnant here had to go through with it, there would be a much stronger push for legalised abortion in the country.

Having abortion freely available only a 45 minute flight away acts as a pressure-release valve on public opinion.

wickalah

Won't somebody please think of the molars.

SilverSpurs

I would suspect the opposite.

I think that if it was not possible to have an abortion in the UK and every woman who became pregnant here had to go through with it, there would be a much stronger push for legalised abortion in the country.

Having abortion freely available only a 45 minute flight away acts as a pressure-release valve on public opinion.
Equally the fact that paedophilia is legal in some asian countries means we can export our paedophile problem. If this "pressure-release valve" wasn't available........

Spanner Island

Would they continue to travel? Of course they would...

Ireland is a small country and you can bet your last €uro any facility that provided this service would be picketed by lunatics...

So it would probably be easier for many to continue going abroad and avoid the inevitable hysteria and hassle, not to mention the passing of judgement by hypocrites who refuse to pass judgement on paedophile priests or their bishop protectors and enablers...

Hitch 22

Life IS meaningless you f*cknut.

Clanrickard

Equally the fact that paedophilia is legal in some asian countries means we can export our paedophile problem. If this "pressure-release valve" wasn't available........
Exactly. Laws are not just dos and donts. They are statements of what society finds acceptable and unacceptable.

Sibelius

I'd imagine most women would get the procedure done at home - it would be cheaper in terms of time and money and more comfortable if they are suffering from morning sickness and so on.

It would be foolish, if abortion were allowed here, to set up specific clinics because, as someone said above, that would attract religious loons. It would make more sense to have abortions carried out at hospitals or gynaecology clinics a person might be attending for any number of reasons.

Clanrickard

This woman from America has made youtube videos about her abortion experience in 2010.
She had one to save her life and because she is already bringing up an autistic child.

[video=youtube;59Ud3g2ymOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Ud3g2ymOM[/video]

[video=youtube;fu4OPP177_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu4OPP177_M[/video]

[video=youtube;Fowl1361B0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fowl1361B0c[/video]
"I'm glad I had an abortion" Reprehensible human being.

sondagefaux

In which Asian countries is paedophilia legal? And can you name some women who've had abortions that you think are morally equivalent to paedophiles?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies