Would women still go to the UK for abortions if they were freely available in Ireland?

sadmal

Yeah, who cares if a husband beats his wife or rapes his kid.

Everything goes. Eh?
I remember when the first hostel opened for battered women and the main objectors were right wing Catholics like Alice Glenn. A right wing FG TD.

petaljam

PHP:
Equally when has anyone ever been convicted of an offence under extra-territorial laws??? There is a thread active on Cathal O'Searchaigh right now.
Can someone seriously be comparing sex tourism (abusing others for one's own personal pleasure) with what a woman undergoing an abortion goes through? If you think there is any pleasure involved then you are either shockingly ignorant or a very sick person.

Anyway, unless Ireland votes for the right to travel to commit paedophile acts abroad, the fact that no-one has been prosecuted for that only shows a failure of the justice system, not that there is any equivalence. Somehow I can't quite imagine that getting into the constitution - and it is significant that where Ireland has failed, a country which allows abortion on demand (France) has succeeded in convicting French citizens for crimes committed abroad : Le Figaro - France : Deux Franais jugs Colmar pour tourisme sexuel en Asie

(Sorry, I don't know if we are allowed to non-English language sites here, but I haven't time to start looking elsewhere just now)

And So I Said

PHP:
Can someone seriously be comparing sex tourism (abusing others for one's own personal pleasure) with what a woman undergoing an abortion goes through? If you think there is any pleasure involved then you are either shockingly ignorant or a very sick person.

Anyway, unless Ireland votes for the right to travel to commit paedophile acts abroad, the fact that no-one has been prosecuted for that only shows a failure of the justice system, not that there is any equivalence. Somehow I can't quite imagine that getting into the constitution - and it is significant that where Ireland has failed, a country which allows abortion on demand (France) has succeeded in convicting French citizens for crimes committed abroad : Le Figaro - France : Deux Franais jugs Colmar pour tourisme sexuel en Asie

(Sorry, I don't know if we are allowed to non-English language sites here, but I haven't time to start looking elsewhere just now)
Sex tourism and abortion are both awful acts.

Al Gebra

Sex tourism and abortion are both awful acts.
??

Are you saying that a woman who travels to have an abortion is morally equivalent to a paedophile/child abuser?
Or is it all "the abortion industry's" fault in the case of women?

Hitch 22

"I'm glad I had an abortion" Reprehensible human being.
You just have a profound fear and hatred of women.
Did your mother beat you with a belt as a child?
Did your older sisters push you around?
When you wet your pants at school did the schoolteacher humiliate you?
When you asked that girl out to the debs she shot you down and the whole school laughed at you?
Do you still think about it at night when the demons come and you are tempted to reach for the whiskey and .38 revolver?

White Horse

You just have a profound fear and hatred of women.
Did your mother beat you with a belt as a child?
Did your older sisters push you around?
When you wet your pants at school did the schoolteacher humiliate you?
When you asked that girl out to the debs she shot you down and the whole school laughed at you?
Do you still think about it at night when the demons come and you are tempted to reach for the whiskey and .38 revolver?
Ths post epitomises what is wrong with the web-site.

What has this personal attack got to do with the issue under discussion?

Mitsui2

A moral coward's reasoning.

"Well, if it keeps abortion out of Ireland..."

If you don't believe me, have a look at the 13th & 14th amendments which were passed by referendum.
Getting a referendum passed that would allow freely-available abortion in Ireland, even now, would be a tough ask.

Therefore the number of people in favour of allowing women travel to the UK for abortions is greater than those who would allow freely-available abortion in Ireland.

Therefore there is a significant proportion of the population against abortion in Ireland but in favour of allowing travel for abortions (and even allowing the provision of information on abortion abroad).

I agree, it makes no moral sense, but it is fact.
Moral NIMBYism? I hadn't thought of it quite like that before but you're dead right - it's a spectacularly illogical position.

wickalah

I remember when the first hostel opened for battered women and the main objectors were right wing Catholics like Alice Glenn. A right wing FG TD.
This was the same all over Ireland (and is most likely still the same).

The most fervent opposition to abortion and to anything that gave support to battered women were one and the same (the catholic right).

Anything that gives women control of their own lives is anathema to these lads (and lassies).

pandora

Moral NIMBYism? I hadn't thought of it quite like that before but you're dead right - it's a spectacularly illogical position.
Abortion is such an emotive topic that few of us are capable of being completely logical about it. There is also the fact that you aren't allowed to take a middle ground. You are for or against killing babies, you are for or against allowing women to decide what to do with their own bodies.

In practice it is much more messy. There are stories of young women pressurised into abortions by firmly 'pro life' parents who cared more about what the neighbours might say than the life of their own grandchild, and other stories of firmly 'pro choice' women who couldn't go through with an abortion.

None of us who came through the education system in Ireland has had any training in ethics or how to make a moral judgement. We were expected to follow the church's rules so there was no need to teach us how to decide for ourselves how to behave. When we decided to reject the bits we didn't like, say the ban on contraception, then we had no means of deciding which other bits we should keep.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies