Would you be happy for the annual White House St Patricks's Day bowl of shamrock ceremony to still go ahead?

sport02

Would you be happy for the annual White House St Patricks's Day bowl of shamrock ceremony to still go ahead?

So what now for the annual St Patrick's day bowl of shamrock presentation at the White House.
Joe Biden with very strong Irish roots would host Kenny and his wife for a St Patrick's day breakfast each year before the passing over of the bowl of shamrock to Obama.
Mike Pence also with strong Irish roots may look to do likewise, but would you be happy to see it still go ahead?

Alison O'Connor writing in the Examiner this morning.
How it will stick in the craw if we have to watch our Taoiseach go to Washington in March and hand over the traditional bowl of shamrock to the new president of the US.

Personally, I’d rather eat the green clover, and the cut glass bowl it is contained in, than have us debase ourselves by having to “make nice” with Donald Trump.
However, by far the best outcome would be if Mr Trump cancelled the annual event out of a lack of interest; that way we wouldn’t have to endure that unseemly tussle with our collective conscience.
https://t.co/tJs6Sf9El8

Strawberry

Yes I would. Much as I dislike Trump, he hasn't taken power by military coup he's been democratically elected by the American people. Alison O'Connor and her ilk need to respect that fact and the Irish government needs to engage with him the same way they would with any other American President.

Socratus O' Pericles

Ah! Everyone is over reacting it'll go on more are less as normal I'd say, it'll be great...........great.

Enda will hand over the gift Donald will enjoy the show and things will go on somewhat like they always have before.

That said I'm getting everything wrong these days.

Erudite Caveman

As Bill Clinton said, politics is about smiling when swallowing a turd.

The US has picked it's president - and unlike Trump suggested, there is little reason to think that the elections were anything other than a fair reflection of the will of the American people as expressed though their electoral college. At this point in his tenure he hasn't done anything (being an arsehole all his life doesn't count) to justify sanctions or a diplomatic cold shoulder. So we move on.

Yes I would. Much as I dislike Trump, he hasn't taken power by military coup he's been democratically elected by the American people. Alison O'Connor and her ilk need to respect that fact and the Irish government needs to engage with him the same way they would with any other American President.
Agreed. He is no different - and must be treated no differently - to any democratically elected US President.

Guaranteed access to the POTUS is something that our UN partners would die for.

Some people are completely over-reacting to the election result. It is what it is and must be accepted.

The suggestion quoted by the OP is idiotic.

Last edited:

Watcher2

So what now for the annual St Patrick's day bowl of shamrock presentation at the White House.
Joe Biden with very strong Irish roots would host Kenny and his wife for a St Patrick's day breakfast each year before the passing over of the bowl of shamrock to Obama.
Mike Pence also with strong Irish roots may look to do likewise, but would you be happy to see it still go ahead?

Alison O'Connor writing in the Examiner this morning.

https://t.co/tJs6Sf9El8
Of course. What a stupid OP.

Lara2

I could hear the nation's collective sigh of relief this morning as it was announced on Morning Ireland that the Leprauchaun would be going to the White House for the Patrick's Day Ball after all...

Herr Rommel

Trump could easily make a fool out of Kenny on the day, not that it would be a hard accomplishment.

Erudite Caveman

Ah yes! I could hear the nation's collective sigh of relief this morning as it was announced on Morning Ireland that the Leprauchan would be going to the White House for the Patrick's Day Ball after all...
Who is the Leprechaun, and why is he a leprechaun, and can you please post a picture of yourself so we can caricature it?

GDPR

Yeah, we should all listen to the silly twit and march over to Washington telling them how they should run their domestic affairs. Maybe, a little use of ones brain, and how would we like being told how to run our domestic affairs, oh wait, we already did that.

stakerwallace

Standing on the high moral ground and not going to the White House would be daft in my view. Politicians have been elected to deal with other politicians that they don't necessarily like since democracy was initiated whenever.

I was just trying to gage if Alison O'Connor had much support on here.
I completely disagree with her.
Yup. As I read it, you were merely reporting the suggestion rather than favouring it.

nomahdi

You're talking like: should we deign to go on with this thing?

The shoe's on the other foot, if you haven't noticed. I'd expect the D. to delegate the tedium of small-talking the Irish Obsequious Class to someone minor in his cabinet, if not to put the whole junket-jamboree on hold.

Strawberry

Agreed. He is no different - and must be treated no differently - to any democratically elected US President.

Guaranteed access to the POTUS is something that our US partners would die for.

Some people are completely over-reacting to the election result. It is what it is and must be accepted.

The suggestion quoted by the OP is idiotic.
Exactly. Other countries would give their eye teeth for an equivalent to St Patrick's Day where the head of their government has guaranteed access to the White House. Alison O'Connor doesn't seem to realise that refusing that invitation because we don't like the choice the US electorate made wouldn't just be insulting Donald Trump, it would be insulting the American people generally.

daveL

I was never that arsed about the shamrock bowl nonsense in the first place...

However it has always served a diplomatic purpose and annual access to the oval office is not something to walk away from.

Yeah, we should all listen to the silly twit and march over to Washington telling them how they should run their domestic affairs. Maybe, a little use of ones brain, and how would we like being told how to run our domestic affairs, oh wait, we already did that.
I'm sure that it would occasion some long dark nights of the soul for Trump if we were to publicly snub him in this way. He'd retreatfor a short while for a personal reappraisal before emerging from the shadows to announce a complete U-turn on all of policies, while thanking the Irish as "true friends who weren't afraid to mount an intervention for my good and the good of the country". Kenny would be Time's man of the year and co Offally would become the global powerhouse of the IT industry, with Trump grant-aiding the transfer of Silicon Valley to Ireland.

New Threads

Most Replies