Would you be happy for the annual White House St Patricks's Day bowl of shamrock ceremony to still go ahead?

Erudite Caveman

I didn't see a comments section associated with the rant, I mean article, linked to in the OP.

Today's indo has a piece by Collete Brown, which could well have been written by Alison, and vice versa.

Another sour-grapes, petulant, whinging, non-fact based, rant.

Trump is a despicable bigot, a bully, a braggart, a sleazy, thin-skinned egoist - but he is a man - Independent.ie

Just look at the comments section.

The overwhelming vast majority of them disagree with her, to put it mildly, and also show a firmer grasp on reality and the facts, as well as a greater level of maturity.

These 'journalists' just don't get it.

They must only associate with people who share their views, and clearly are very far removed from what us 'ordinary' people think.

I stopped buying a newspaper years ago.

Why does anyone bother to pay to read that complete and utter sh1te.
Why does anyone read it for free?

Particularly the comments.

Sotired

I agree with you but feel the need to correct you on one point. The majority of Americans did not vote for Trump. Hillary actually received more votes of the people. Trump just won more in the states that count. Its the electoral college baby.
Grand.

Thanks for that.

He still won the election then?

freewillie

I agree with you but feel the need to correct you on one point. The majority of Americans did not vote for Trump. Hillary actually received more votes of the people. Trump just won more in the states that count. Its the electoral college baby.
It's the same system that got her philandering husband elected. If she wasn't happy with it why hasn't she proposed change
She lost because she was a bad candidate. If she had won the electoral college and not the popular vote she would have taken the job

Watcher2

The real question is, how happy will the whitehouse be to continue this tradition?

I find it amusing that nobody bats an eyelid when our ministers and leaders toddle off the places like Saudi Arabia (for who's former king we lowered flags to half mast on state building to mark his passing) but Alison O'Connor wrings her hands in prose about how to explain the Trump victory to her child??? (hint Alison, your kid could give a flying about the U.S. electoral system, or at the very least shouldn't).
I saw something on facebook this morning about explaining the result to your child. I didn't bother reading it because its fvcking stupid. More hysteria. Why and WHAT would you explain to a child about this? Perhaps it was this article. How utterly ridiculous.

It's the same system that got her philandering husband elected. If she wasn't happy with it why hasn't she proposed change
She lost because she was a bad candidate. If she had won the electoral college and not the popular vote she would have taken the job
She herself doesn't appear to have referrd to the popular vote. Her running-mate did, but I think it was by way of suggesting a consolation prize rather than querying Trump's status as victor.

The Electoral College system is a pretty sophisticated way to ensure that each of the states has an proportionate voice. I'm not sure that any politicians have seriously suggested a different system. Her gaining of the popular vote is no more than an interesting aside. It has zero impact on who is to be the new POTUS.

Watcher2

Grand.

Thanks for that.

He still won the election then?
Yes he did, but more people actually voted for Hilary. Dot take that to be a comment on who I think would be a better president. I'm merely relaying the facts.

Lúidín

The Bowl of Submission is removed by an aide and then the Taoiseach awaits the call to rise and come forward.

(Picture courtesy of the Dept of Foreign Affairs, diplomacy section)

Watcher2

I'm merely relaying the facts. Sotired said more people voted for Trump, they didn't. He still won though.

I saw something on facebook this morning about explaining the result to your child. I didn't bother reading it because its fvcking stupid. More hysteria. Why and WHAT would you explain to a child about this? Perhaps it was this article. How utterly ridiculous.
I speak to my 7 and 9 year old children all the time about what's happening in the world and the threats that face them such as FGM, being tied to beds while a C-section is being performed on them, that all Muslims are rapists and Mexican-Muslims are double-rapists and that if and when Le Pen wins next year we'll be rounded up and sent to camps before Daddy is sent to work in a mine and you two kids will be given to a proper French family to work in the laundry.

Wait now, I don't. They're kids. They'll be told what's what when they have the ability to cope with it.

wombat

She herself doesn't appear to have referrd to the popular vote. Her running-mate did, but I think it was by way of suggesting a consolation prize rather than querying Trump's status as victor.

The Electoral College system is a pretty sophisticated way to ensure that each of the states has an proportionate voice. I'm not sure that any politicians have seriously suggested a different system. Her gaining of the popular vote is no more than an interesting aside. It has zero impact on who is to be the new POTUS.
Look at the map of the U.S. Would anyone in Europe think that an EU wide referendum would be a good way to decide an issue?

sic transit

Some young family members have asked about him. One of them couldn't fathom his wall. Who he is, was explained to them. While the contents of the tape is off-limits they are aware that he has insulted many people.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Some young family members have asked about him. One of them couldn't fathom his wall. Who he is, was explained to them. While the contents of the tape is off-limits they are aware that he has insulted many people.
Humpty trumpty

Socratus O' Pericles

I speak to my 7 and 9 year old children all the time about what's happening in the world and the threats that face them such as FGM, being tied to beds while a C-section is being performed on them, that all Muslims are rapists and Mexican-Muslims are double-rapists and that if and when Le Pen wins next year we'll be rounded up and sent to camps before Daddy is sent to work in a mine and you two kids will be given to a proper French family to work in the laundry.

Wait now, I don't. They're kids. They'll be told what's what when they have the ability to cope with it.
Our son is 18 and he has little interest in it all................all politics is local is his only opinion-I think he heard his mother saying that.petunia

Look at the map of the U.S. Would anyone in Europe think that an EU wide referendum would be a good way to decide an issue?
The best way to look at it is with a cartograph - which resizes the individual states to reflect the number of electoral votes they have.

The EU wouldn't be a good model for a similar system. By and large the only way to guarantee that smaller members have a say is to grant them a veto.

Equinox

In terms of the migration issue effecting many states or on the question of wether or not the EU should become a federal state (rather then back dooring that move with 'death by a thousand small cuts' to national democracy, then yes, EU wide referendums would be welcome.

Top Bottom