Would You Believe : Special Thursday 20th October 2016

gerhard dengler

RTE don't often get it correct, but I think RTE are doing the public some service with this programme.

The excellent Mick Peelo is doing a WYB special about sex offenders and what happens - and how society deals with - with them.

It's on now.

realistic1

RTE don't often get it correct, but I think RTE are doing the public some service with this programme.

The excellent Mick Peelo is doing a WYB special about sex offenders and what happens - and how society deals with - with them.

It's on now.
Will be interesting to see if the will they try to make victims out of these bad bastards.

gerhard dengler

The opening credits to this programme tell it as it is - Ireland has a sexual offences problem.

This programme looks at the extent of the problem, it looks at how other jurisdictions deal with the problem and how society here might deal with the problem of sexual offenders.

LISTOWEL MAN

the best films ever made about sex offenders are

and

for better or worse those two films try to understand

Pythagoras

Forgot it was on - will watch on RTE+1. New thinking on ways of dealing with issues is always interesting and so rarely engaged by Irish politicians and media

gerhard dengler

Sexual crime is under reported in Ireland.

90% of all sexual crimes are not reported to the authorities.

90% of all sexual crimes are committed by family members against family members.

40% of all sexual crimes are committed by children against other children.

Socratus O' Pericles

Demonising doesn't work according to the experts. Very impressive programme.

LISTOWEL MAN

The opening credits to this programme tell it as it is - Ireland has a sexual offences problem.

This programme looks at the extent of the problem, it looks at how other jurisdictions deal with the problem and how society here might deal with the problem of sexual offenders.
i remember how angry people were after Pat Kenny met Jake Goldenflame

realistic1

There should be no tolerance of these horrendous offences. There seems to be an attempt of late to portray these perverted criminal offenders as suffering from mental issues etc. The bottom line here is that these crims perpetrate these offences because they feel that they can evaded punishment. Society has to send out the message that these crimes will not be tolerated and demonizing these crims is a deterrent to other potential abusers.

Socratus O' Pericles

There should be no tolerance of these horrendous offences. There seems to be an attempt of late to portray these perverted criminal offenders as suffering from mental issues etc. The bottom line here is that these crims perpetrate these offences because they feel that they can evaded punishment. Society has to send out the message that these crimes will not be tolerated and demonizing these crims is a deterrent to other potential abusers.

Thankfully, the experts interviewed ( as seen by those of us who actually watched the programme) did not share this view. Complex problem, complex solutions required.

realistic1

Thankfully, the experts interviewed ( as seen by those of us who actually watched the programme) did not share this view. Complex problem, complex solutions required.
Looks like tolerance of sexual abuse is starting.

There is right and wrong in life and individuals can make a choice. There has to be severe consequences for destroying the lives of children and making excuses for abusers will only enable these crimes. Society has to send out strong messages that child abuse is wrong and not the message of abusers have mental issues.

Skypeme

Missed that and must watch on RTEPlayer (?).

Seems to be well recommended by the more erudite on this site.

realistic1

Missed that and must watch on RTEPlayer (?).

Seems to be well recommended by the more erudite on this site.
There is plenty of "erudite" victims who would dispute some of the contents of this program. One wonders is it a case that some of the wealthy "erudite" do not like there family members been classified as criminal child abusers??

gerhard dengler

I'm very sympathetic to that view, realistic.

I think the programme makes some very challenging arguments.
If the statistics presented in the programme are accurate (90% of all sexual crimes go unreported, 40% of all sexual crimes are children attacking other children, etc), then the evidence is clear that Ireland has a huge societal problem.

I would be concerned that perhaps the "experts" on this programme might be trying to peddle the liberal line about rehabilitation.

The evidence presented by the Christian Group in Canada was interesting. These people made an effort to try to reach out to these criminals in an effort to try to help rehabilitate them.

realistic1

I'm very sympathetic to that view, realistic.

I think the programme makes some very challenging arguments.
If the statistics presented in the programme are accurate (90% of all sexual crimes go unreported, 40% of all sexual crimes are children attacking other children, etc), then the evidence is clear that Ireland has a huge societal problem.

I would be concerned that perhaps the "experts" on this programme might be trying to peddle the liberal line about rehabilitation.

The evidence presented by the Christian Group in Canada was interesting. These people made an effort to try to reach out to these criminals in an effort to try to help rehabilitate them.
I wonder does that Christian group also "reach out" to the ordinary decent criminals "in an effort to try to help rehabilitate them"

freewillie

Sexual crime is under reported in Ireland.

90% of all sexual crimes are not reported to the authorities.

90% of all sexual crimes are committed by family members against family members.

40% of all sexual crimes are committed by children against other children.
What the ************************? You mean we cant blame the priests for it all?

We have to blame Daddy and Uncle Paddy etc in the family. Those stats must be wrong. It's a lot easier to blame the priests

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies