Would you criminalize homelessness?

ger12

Yep, criminalize the homeless, like they do in the "civilized" US of A. Before the finger pointing starts, it's both political parties.

Cities across the US are enacting more bans on living in vehicles, camping in public and begging. There are now laws against feeding the homeless in over 50 cities, many resulting from the 1980s when the federal government slashed the affordable housing budget.

In 1992, the office of San Francisco Mayor Art Agnos (Democrat) vowed in a white paper to reshape the city’s homeless policy in the interests of “the larger non-homeless community of businesses” rather than “social service agencies and homeless advocates,” leading to a massive police effort to sweep people away from future tourist havens such as Fisherman’s Wharf.

Denver ordered about 150 homeless people living on pavements to clear out their belongings this week and was among four cities criticised for policies criminalizing homelessness in a report by the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, an advocacy group aiming to prevent people from losing their homes.
The other cities listed in its “hall of shame” are in Hawaii, Texas and Washington state.

Is it a model Ireland would consider moving towards? I sincerely hope not, but you never know ....

Guess Which "Liberal" State Has 500 Laws Aimed at Oppressing the Homeless? | Alternet
The Growing Criminalization of Homelessness | Al Jazeera America
Across the US, more and more cities are passing laws to criminalise being homeless

stopdoingstuff

I thought the way the Brits treated sick people on benefits was the worst thing I had seen in years, but it seems we have reached a new low.

Accidental sock

Prefer Sci-Fi to religion....but, even a stopped clock etc.

John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” (Luke 3:11)

Read the accounts detailed in the OP from several sources, and looked/hoped to find some spin or agenda....

Nope.

mr_anderson

Make begging a deportation offence for foreigners.

If we had a minimum 30 days in jail for the domestic crew, how would the drug addicts cope ?

Round tower

I would not go that far but people who are in hoels and hostels who have been offered accommodation should be given 1 rejection but after that they should have to take the accommodation offered.

D

Deleted member 17573

Yep, criminalize the homeless, like they do in the "civilized" US of A. Before the finger pointing starts, it's both political parties.

Cities across the US are enacting more bans on living in vehicles, camping in public and begging. There are now laws against feeding the homeless in over 50 cities, many resulting from the 1980s when the federal government slashed the affordable housing budget.

In 1992, the office of San Francisco Mayor Art Agnos (Democrat) vowed in a white paper to reshape the city’s homeless policy in the interests of “the larger non-homeless community of businesses” rather than “social service agencies and homeless advocates,” leading to a massive police effort to sweep people away from future tourist havens such as Fisherman’s Wharf.

Denver ordered about 150 homeless people living on pavements to clear out their belongings this week and was among four cities criticised for policies criminalizing homelessness in a report by the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty, an advocacy group aiming to prevent people from losing their homes.
The other cities listed in its “hall of shame” are in Hawaii, Texas and Washington state.

Is it a model Ireland would consider moving towards? I sincerely hope not, but you never know ....

Guess Which "Liberal" State Has 500 Laws Aimed at Oppressing the Homeless? | Alternet
Across the US, more and more cities are passing laws to criminalise being homeless
Presumably the SJWs are busy sorting it out, or are they waiting for next year when they can blame it on Trump?

Hitchcock

A typical P.ie thread, deal with the victims and not the cause.

Oh and the answer to the question is No. Now can this nonsense be sent to the Zoo.

Hitchcock

Presumably the SJWs are busy sorting it out, or are they waiting for next year when they can blame it on Trump?
Another one who has a problem with social justice :roll:

ger12

Oh and the answer to the question is No. Now can this nonsense be sent to the Zoo.
Cause of homelessness?

Your answer may be no but there's a few TD's I could see who'd be quite taken I suspect with the steps taken in the US.

Hunter-Gatherer

instead of homeless people in the city centre begging, i am happy for them to be homeless in the tundra wastelands of Longford, Monaghan, Leitrim or Roscommon.

criminalise begging.

Last edited:

bonkers

Make begging a deportation offence for foreigners.

If we had a minimum 30 days in jail for the domestic crew, how would the drug addicts cope ?
It's probably easier to get drugs in jail than on the streets.

Gin Soaked

It's barbaric to convict someone of a crime they cannot avoid making.

And I think being homeless is in that space.

There may be some exceptions and there are some entitled jerks, but by and large you are dealing with deeply damaged and/or addicted people.

PBP voter

Criminalise FF,FG,Lab. Also SF and their indo supporters on Dublin city council who sold off land on the cheap to private developers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies