Would you eat Fish from Vietnam

richie268

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGAgYw4JZk]YouTube - GLOBAL 3000 | A Fish Named Pangasius[/ame]

This looks suspect in the sense that people in Ireland are buying this so called fish under the guise that it is Cod Haddock lemon sole and so on and I am at a loss to reckon how traceability works in relation to the latter.

asknoquestions

It's actually catfish apparently. I eat it but it's called pagnasius. The fish farms are probably not much different from chicken farms in the west.

richie268

It's actually catfish apparently. I eat it but it's called pagnasius. The fish farms are probably not much different from chicken farms in the west.
Check this out.

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo87j_quest-ce-quun-panga_sustainable_dev"]Dailymotion - Qu'est ce qu'un Panga ? - une vidéo Actu et Politique@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video[/ame]

Cat fish goes by many names especially in Ireland

martino

I wouldn't touch the stuff my self. It doesn't taste very good. The Germans buy a lot of it, but they'd buy anything cheap-wouldn't spend Christmas that crowd. Funny, that Deutsch See fella's name was Heiko Frisch.

richie268

I visited an aged stubborn uncle of mine recently and he is a beneficiary of meals on wheels which he does not consume as his family see to his needs, anyway Fridays menu description went as follows (Fish Dinner).

danger here

I bought some of this a few months back in the supermarket here (Germany) and didn't know what it was but it's hard to get sea based fish like you'd get in Ireland here and it was cheap,even though I only googled it after I bought it.It looks great frozen but disintegrated a bit in the pan and tasted bland,like eating a slipper,that's the only word I can describe it with.

Mitsui2

I don't know the fish personally but to judge by the postings is this yet another proof of our mysterious Irish (i.e. an island) ignorance of fish?

danger here

I don't know the fish personally but to judge by the postings is this yet another proof of our mysterious Irish (i.e. an island) ignorance
fixed that for you :cool:

Cato

Why would we eat fish all the way from Vietnam? We are an Island?
Sadly our government sold our fishing industry down the river when we joined the EEC.

deirdrem

Another aspect of eating Vietnamese fish and seafood - or any produce from Vetnam - would be the quantities of chemicals rained down on Vietnam in the 60s and 70s.
Could we be leaving ourselves open to varous types of illness and reactions to these chemicals if we eat food from there?
Does anyone on these pages know about this aspect of Vietnamese food?

Most Replies