• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Icemancometh

There were quite a few cases a couple of years back of evidence going missing from Garda stations. Large sums of cash that would disappear when the owners went to claim it. Nothing ever seemed to come of any of those cases. My professional dealings with the Gardaí have been mostly good (one or two exceptions, of course) but it's hard to trust them these days. Institutionally corrupt.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Corrupt force in a corrupt country governed by corrupt politicians.

When the commissioner can appoint her husband to investigate allegations against the force, there's something seriously wrong.

So you'd advise NI people not to unite with this terrible place then I assume?

Half Nelson

I used to have a high regard for AGS. Then Corrib Gas happened and I grew up.

Btw, one possible scenario regarding the breath tests seems to have been overlooked - that mouthpieces were reused. Look after the pennies .....

Round tower

Would you have any faith in the Gardaí?

Amazing how many people, have faith in the Gardai when they need their passports witnessed,
when they're involved in Traffic Accidents, or when they have noisy neighbours, when they have domestics at 3 in the morning...
Or if you had been caught for something small, a word in the ear of your local gaurd and the summons would disappear. In the OP he spoke about statistics out today that murders are up and kidnapping is down, u can believe the murders figures as 99.999999$ of murders are in the news. On the kidnapping figure, you rarely hear of kidnapping these times unless its associated with a tiger kidnapping, where a family of a bank employee is held while a parent goes to the bank for money.

irish_bob

Last edited:
Last edited:
If I knew the right Guards ( and they had good connections ) I would have great faith that i could get away with a lot of dodgy stuff.... I might even get cocky about it....
a guy once ( 2005 ) punched me in the face and kneed me in the head on my own property , i restrained him by rugby tackling him to the ground , we were both summonsed for assaulting each only the guards made out i was 100% in the wrong , i had thee most incompetant legal rep ever to stand in a courtroom , i was young and naive and overwhelmed by the blatant corruption of AGS and was foolish enough not to appeal , the guards also had my house searched for a tazer as the tresspasser told them i pulled one on him , the judge was a known headcase and convicted me while clearing the tresspasser l i was simultaeneously summonsed for a charge of harrassing the guys wife , the harrassent charge was based around the fact i was often driving behind her on the same route as we both lived in the same parish ( so i had two summons on the same day in court ) , that was dismissed as there wasnt a whit of evidence , he had mates high up in the force , never taxed a car in his life and both him and his wife drove northern reg cars for about ten years , then in 2011 he decided to have some more fun and told the guards i made a threatening gesture at him outside a newsagents , i spent four hours in a cell and two in an interview room , this time i had a proper solicitor and on his advice refused to answer any question bar what my name is , i even refused to provide finger prints so when the thing went nowhere , the prints had to be destroyed

its a corrupt orginisation which just happens to have a minority of great people , the majority ignore the rampant corruption for an easy life

hammer

Yes. The majority of An Garda Siochana are honest decent fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters etc....

Bad eggs in every organisation.

Unfortunately that doesn`t stop them being tarnished by those that hate An Garda Siochana.

Round tower

[B said:
The Sentinel;11063415]An Garda Siochana , as an institution, is no different from the Banks, the Catholic Church, the Charities, the HSE etc etc [/B], in one aspect and that is zero accountability for seriously bad or fraudulent actions or decisions. On the rare occasion when wrongdoing is exposed it is rarely punished. Another commonality is the fact that these organisations never expose problems through their own audit and control systems , instead this role falls to journalists or whistleblowers. The lack of competent overseers on the taxpayers and citizens behalf is glaringly obvious in these cases.
The time for reviews are long gone. Brand new structures , from the ground up, need to be put in place to replace the existing debacle.
Central to that should be the depoliticization of the force.
Would include trade unions in that as well, the early 90's worked in a factory. we would get payed the first working day of the month, so we would not get any wages at Christmas till we went back to work in Jan.
We would work 8.5 hours per day, we used to get a 15 minute break at 11 am and a 15 minute break at 13.30, we were told that if we wanted a 1/2 hour break we would have to work an extra 15 minutes
We used work evening shifts, 8.5 hours with 2 15 minute breaks for the evening, he used give us £5 a week for working evenings, then we used work a extra 1/2 in the evenings so we would finish early on a Friday night, when we did this he would only give us £4 extra a week as he said we did not work on Fri. evenings.
Eventually 7 of us that worked on the floor joined a union, met officials number of times, the only thing they got was a increased shift allowance, nothing on the free lunch break.
We came to the conclusion that he must have paid the UO off, i left that factory not long afterwards.

irish_bob

Yes. The majority of An Garda Siochana are honest decent fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters etc....

Unfortunately that doesn`t stop them being tarnished by those that hate An Garda Siochana.
a minority have a vocation to do good , most are out for a good wage who are willing to turn a blind eye to corruption

loyalty to their own is the only thing they excell at

hammer

Well loyalty to an organisation is a plus.

All though if there is serious wrongdoing it should be outed.

sadmal

Unfortunately the 'bad apples' tend to be in senior positions and the honest juniors either toe the line or they get the McCabe treatment.

londonpride

The Irish Police fore needs to be reorganiszed and renamed. And the requirement to speak Gaelic be abolished.

The Sentinel

Bunch of corrupt thugs.

I was personally involved with the Donegal shenanigans and believe me only a fraction of what was actually going on came out for public consumption in the end. In the 8 years I lived in Galway City I was aware of, and personally intervened, in multiple cases of the same shyte. Funny how quickly they backed down and ran away when a) you actually knew the law and b) they became aware of who you were.

Some younger greener cops are all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed thinking they are actually part of a police service. Anyone in there for any length of time has decided to either keep the head down and say nothing; or join in on the corruption.

Overall: scum.
Sounds to me that you may be the problem - not the Guards. Wherever you go you find trouble - or maybe the trouble finds you . Either way I have my suspicions.

General Urko

The Irish Police fore needs to be reorganiszed and renamed. And the requirement to speak Gaelic be abolished.
A Southern Patten Commission!
THe Guards form the current revealations are by and large a fungus at the arse of society!

The Sentinel

Corrupt force in a corrupt country governed by corrupt politicians.

When the commissioner can appoint her husband to investigate allegations against the force, there's something seriously wrong.
You say that and yet you have no problem with SF/IRA style justice. Is there any police force in the world acceptable to you?

TheWolf

You say that and yet you have no problem with SF/IRA style justice. Is there any police force in the world acceptable to you?
Sinn Fein got rid of the corrupt RUC and produced a reasonable police force called the PSNI.
Although, in that, there are still a few remnants from the bad days of the RUC, but those corrupt officers are coming to retirement age soon enough.

If, for one second, you find our police force acceptable as scandal after scandal breaks, I'd suggest you take a long hard look at yourself.

mangaire2

I totally agree with you that the Gardaí neeed to be "reorganized",
but I would go much further -
they need to be reformed from top to bottom.

as for your -
"the requirement to speak Gaelic be abolished."
LOL !!!!
how many of them could respond to you, if you addressed them with -
Beannacht Dé ort ????

"the requirement to speak Gaelic be abolished." my arse !!

The Herren

Sinn Fein got rid of the corrupt RUC and produced a reasonable police force called the PSNI.
Although, in that, there are still a few remnants from the bad days of the RUC, but those corrupt officers are coming to retirement age soon enough.

If, for one second, you find our police force acceptable as scandal after scandal breaks, I'd suggest you take a long hard look at yourself.
SF/IRA did not produce any police force.

Do you accept the credentials and authority of the PSNI?

The Herren

LOL, despite scandal after scandal, you still think AGS have no problems.
Are you Noreen?
Where did you get that idea?

The AGS has plenty of issues that are completely unacceptable, and maybe worse. Why are you challenging me ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom