Would you still Holiday in Turkey?

ruserious

As the Celtic Tiger roared through the Noughties, Turkey became a popular destination for Irish tourists and house opportunits alike.

Whether it was the bustling ancient city of Istanbul of the beaches of Kusadasi, Irish tourists fell in love with Turkey.

Flash forward 10 years and Turkey is accelerating towards extremism and autocracy. The secular ideals of Atatürk have effectively been shelved and Erdogan is ramping up the Islamisation of the country.

Last year we saw an attempted coup which would have brought Turkey back to a more secular outlook if it had succeeded. With the crushing defeat of the coup attempters, free speech and public condemnation of the leadership risks a jail sentence if not worse. The media has also been severely censored.

Terror attacks are becoming a daily occurrence as Turkey faces off against Islamic State and the Kurds.

There has been a rise in muggings of western tourists.

It seems now that Turkey ought to be avoided for Tourism. Would you still holiday there?

Man or Mouse

Are you serious?

FunkyBoogaloo

Yeh. Why not. Still lots of safe places in Turkey... being such a vast place and all.

If an Islamist whackjob gets me I'll go out fighting.

Dame_Enda

Yeh. Why not. Still lots of safe places in Turkey... being such a vast place and all.

If an Islamist whackjob gets me I'll go out fighting.
The entire country has become Erdogans personal "safe space" in that criticising him will get you 4 years in prison. A Dutch-Turkish dual national is facing this in recent days.

As an admirerof Ataturk and Ottoman architecture and cultural tolerance, I think Erdogan is trying to turn Turkey into Pakistan. Like Pakistan during the Afghan war, Turkey aided anti Assad rebels without much wherewithall as to whether they were secular or Islamist. Now, as with the Pakistani Taliban, radical Islamic terror has boomeranged on Turkey and is turning into a no-go area for western tourists. The Istanbul terror attack recently was largely targetting Christians and others joining in the celebrations. Police now beat and fire on gay pride marches off the streets including one called to commemorate the Orlando victims. Mehmed the Conqueror, who was bisexual, would be turning in his grave.

So no I wont go there.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

As the Celtic Tiger roared through the Noughties, Turkey became a popular destination for Irish tourists and house opportunits alike.

Whether it was the bustling ancient city of Istanbul of the beaches of Kusadasi, Irish tourists fell in love with Turkey.

Flash forward 10 years and Turkey is accelerating towards extremism and autocracy. The secular ideals of Atatürk have effectively been shelved and Erdogan is ramping up the Islamisation of the country.

Last year we saw an attempted coup which would have brought Turkey back to a more secular outlook if it had succeeded. With the crushing defeat of the coup attempters, free speech and public condemnation of the leadership risks a jail sentence if not worse. The media has also been severely censored.

Terror attacks are becoming a daily occurrence as Turkey faces off against Islamic State and the Kurds.

There has been a rise in muggings of western tourists.

It seems now that Turkey ought to be avoided for Tourism. Would you still holiday there?
Turkey should be boycotted.

blinding

It should be ok for the holl-iers if you are an Islamist, whackjob, would-be, terrorist .

The costs are probably lower now ..................

FunkyBoogaloo

The entire country has become Erdogans personal "safe space" in that criticising him will get you 4 years in prison. A Dutch-Turkish dual national is facing this in recent days.
While Erdogan is a c*nt - a useless one at that... which is the worst kind of c*nt to be - I'll be there for the sun, cheap tobacco and tat. I'll keep me mouth shut about Politics and hang by the pool smoking the brains outta meself intermittently while there.

Then come home, safe and sound, as well as a tad more leathery.

Job's oxo. :D

silverharp

My wife is talking about Italy this year, Im thinking Portugal. Greece or Turkey isnt even on the radar

ruserious

My wife is talking about Italy this year, Im thinking Portugal. Greece or Turkey isnt even on the radar
Heading to Italy myself. Great food, weather, scenery and women. What's not to like.

Socratus O' Pericles

Is it cheaper than it use to be 10!years ago?

Adrian_Wainer

As an admirerof Ataturk and Ottoman architecture and cultural tolerance, I think Erdogan is trying to turn Turkey into Pakistan. Like Pakistan during the Afghan war, Turkey aided anti Assad rebels without much wherewithall as to whether they were secular or Islamist. Now, as with the Pakistani Taliban, radical Islamic terror has boomeranged on Turkey and is turning into a no-go area for western tourists. The Istanbul terror attack recently was largely targetting Christians and others joining in the celebrations. Police now beat and fire on gay pride marches off the streets including one called to commemorate the Orlando victims. Mehmed the Conqueror, who was bisexual, would be turning in his grave.

So no I wont go there.
Erdogan is an Islamist, you should support him.

Billixed

No.

silverharp

Heading to Italy myself. Great food, weather, scenery and women. What's not to like.
sounds like what the hundreds of thousands of Nafris are thinking, I'd imagine petty crime has ballooned in the big cities over the past 2 years. If I want to be locked in a resort I'd go to Jamaica

Analyzer

No.

And I would not holiday in Germany either. There were more terrorist attacks in Germany than Turkey in 2016 With Merkel in charge, Germany is now a very dangerous location for a holiday. More dangerous than Turkey.

Security is an issue. There are too many idiots eager to murder other people for the sake of their Imaginary pal in the sky.

And if the minister for Isis, Frances Fitzgerald, does not implement a proper form of border control, Irish tourism will be banjaxed within 5 years.

Last edited:

mr_anderson

The chance of being killed by an Islamist in Turkey is minuscule.
But still higher than that in Portugal, Spain or Italy.
I'm waiting for a tourist slaughter in France though. Reckon it's only a matter of time.

Supra

No.

And I would not holiday in Germany either.

Security is an issue.

And if the minister for Isis, Frances Fitzgerald, does not implement a proper form of border control, Irish tourism will be banjaxed within 5 years.
Bray for you so. I hope the weather holds up.

silverharp

Bray for you so. I hope the weather holds up.
I was down in Baltimore last summer doing a bit of sailing with the kids, no ISIS, no Muslims, no police with guns at the airports....true chill!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies