Write an Inaugural?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
In — I think — the final episode of The West Wing, out-going President Bartlet and his successor are on the way to the next Inaugural. Ultra-addicts (like me) had followed this liberal saga through 154 previous episodes.

As I recall. it went something like:
Bartlet asks Santos about his Inaugural speech. There's a joking mention of JFK's "Ask not what your country can do for you ..." Santos denies anything like that. Bartlet responds, "Yeah, Jack really screwed us on that one."​

So to today's strange attempt by President Trump.

Every analysis damns it, to a greater or lesser extent. There's particular comment on hyperbole like:
... for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of all knowledge; and the crime and the gangs and the drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.

This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.
Those who have stood at the Vietnam Memorial know that involved 47,424 names.We may have seen any one of the two-dozen American cemeteries in France (the most awesome is the 14,246 memorials at Meuse-Argonne). That's carnage, Trump. Not frothy rhetoric.

So, here's one gross and offensive exaggeration. Others are saying today's speech was "negative and nationalistic, populist and protectionist" at a time when the mood and the occasion should always be inclusive and unifying.

What should an incoming US President be saying at this moment?

storybud1

You describe carnage from 2 old wars and compare them to Trumps rhetoric about the loss of American jobs and the illegal drug industry which he mentioned ? kinda reaching there Pal, It would be more apt to link the recent carnage in Syria and Libya + the deaths in the Med and the refugee madness caused directly by Obama's reign of terror.

didn't you get the memo ??

The snowflake / liberal fascist fake news days are over,,,

Betson

In — I think — the final episode of The West Wing, out-going President Bartlet and his successor are on the way to the next Inaugural. Ultra-addicts (like me) had followed this liberal saga through 154 previous episodes.

As I recall. it went something like:
Bartlet asks Santos about his Inaugural speech. There's a joking mention of JFK's "Ask not what your country can do for you ..." Santos denies anything like that. Bartlet responds, "Yeah, Jack really screwed us on that one."​
The West Wing was good entertainment , but did not have a fraction of the drama we have seen over the last two years in the campaign just gone.

If any of the writers of the West Wing had to propose some of the real life story lines we have seen recently they would have been drug tested or sacked on the spot due to the over the top sensationalist plot. Fact stranger than Fiction , we are certainly seeing that play out now before our eyes. And it is great entertainment.

PlanetBertie

Visit the allied graveyards, because some of the gravestones have individual family messages, while if memory serves me the American gravestones have basic information and no personal messages. both sets of graves including the German graves are very moving.

ger12

He should acknowledge that he is to continue in the spirit of all the presidents before him, not bítch about them, he should shine a light on the good within his nation, not all the bad, he should inspire and hope to unite, not repeat the campaign lingo.

storybud1

He should acknowledge that he is to continue in the spirit of all the presidents before him, not bítch about them, he should shine a light on the good within his nation, not all the bad, he should inspire and hope to unite, not repeat the campaign lingo.
Trumps victory was the anti-thesis of all that , America was founded on NOT going with the flow, Obama was just as much a clown as Bush but the liberal media will not allow it to be mentioned (even though Dubbya did more for Africa than any President including Barry ever did - check it out)

The gloves are off, China has been sending ships loaded for years and they are coming back empty, Merkel is the de-facto Empress of Europe despite all her lies about VW, Banks, Mass muslim immigration, the guilt selling charity business is , well , just business for bullsh1tters, middle America is wiped out, Bill Clinton and Barry made sure of that from their million dollar businesses,

When you take on the middle and screw them over you can only get away with that for so long, the mob is mostly the middle, not far left or far right, forget about Trump,, Le Pen is the real show, the Irish liberal fookwit media (still cannot understand why they think they count) will still continue to attack her over the next couple of months and given Merkels credibility is in the toilet as the rapes and murders will continue we should all be looking at ensuring the Euro in your pocket actually counts for something.

I am nervous, any spare cash I have in the next couple of months is dollars or pounds, it certainly will not be in Euros,

Erudite Caveman

Trumps victory was the anti-thesis of all that , America was founded on NOT going with the flow, Obama was just as much a clown as Bush but the liberal media will not allow it to be mentioned (even though Dubbya did more for Africa than any President including Barry ever did - check it out)

The gloves are off, China has been sending ships loaded for years and they are coming back empty, Merkel is the de-facto Empress of Europe despite all her lies about VW, Banks, Mass muslim immigration, the guilt selling charity business is , well , just business for bullsh1tters, middle America is wiped out, Bill Clinton and Barry made sure of that from their million dollar businesses,

When you take on the middle and screw them over you can only get away with that for so long, the mob is mostly the middle, not far left or far right, forget about Trump,, Le Pen is the real show, the Irish liberal fookwit media (still cannot understand why they think they count) will still continue to attack her over the next couple of months and given Merkels credibility is in the toilet as the rapes and murders will continue we should all be looking at ensuring the Euro in your pocket actually counts for something.

I am nervous, any spare cash I have in the next couple of months is dollars or pounds, it certainly will not be in Euros,
I know the middle, and you sir, are no middle.

Betson

But you don't get it , the people who voted for Trump are fed up of all that wishy washy Disney nonsense that every politician spouts off a script.

Their lives are not full of hope light , the very opposite and finally somebody has come along and at least acknowledged that.

Trump is braking from the norm and not giving the postcard version of America but painting America like it is for a lot of people , and vowing to try and change it for them. People appreciate his straight talking , they have tried living off 'hope' and 'yes we can' now they are ready to try something different.

Dearghoul

That's all as may be. The president is however a horses arse.

Erudite Caveman

But you don't get it , the people who voted for Trump are fed up of all that wishy washy Disney nonsense that every politician spouts off a script.

Their lives are not full of hope light , the very opposite and finally somebody has come along and at least acknowledged that.

Trump is braking from the norm and not giving the postcard version of America but painting America like it is for a lot of people , and vowing to try and change it for them. People appreciate his straight talking , they have tried living off 'hope' and 'yes we can' now they are ready to try something different.
He's most certainly not painting it like it is going to be.

Dame_Enda

Ask not what you can do for the elites - ask what the elites can do for you.

Dearghoul

Turn the postcard over buddy, message reads 'I'm going to make it work. Not enough room to write it all down on this thing. Thinking of you all in Minniesocha, hope youall like the views of the Grand Canyon. Don.

All in capitals of course.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
You describe carnage from 2 old wars and compare them to Trumps rhetoric about the loss of American jobs and the illegal drug industry which he mentioned ? kinda reaching there Pal, It would be more apt to link the recent carnage in Syria and Libya + the deaths in the Med and the refugee madness caused directly by Obama's reign of terror.

didn't you get the memo ??

The snowflake / liberal fascist fake news days are over,,,
Somehow I doubt we could ever be "pals". So, don't attempt such a bar-room patronising.

"2 old wars"? In truth I am thinking of at least four: two World Wars (117,000 and 405,000 respectively), Korea (54,000), and Vietnam (58,000). Trump was surely wrong to equate that with mythical job-losses. Post-Truthery apart, the Obama years added 11.3 million jobs to the pay-roll. Nowhere as good as the Clinton years, admittedly — but streets better than either Bush administration. Similarly, through the Obama years, wage growth has consistently edged up.

That means Trump's "American carnage" is a straight lie — except in terms of manufacturing. It is easy to see why politicians love manufacturing:
Manufacturing exerts a powerful grip on politicians and policymakers in the rich world. It is central to what they want for their countries, they say; it needs to be brought home from abroad; it must be given renewed primacy at home. This is because it used to provide good jobs of a particular sort—jobs that offered decent and dependable wages for people, particularly men, with modest skills, and would do so throughout their working lives. Such jobs are much more scarce than once they were, and people suffer from the lack of them. In their suffering, they turn to politicians—and can also turn against them.

The problem with such rhetoric is that manufacturing has not really gone away. But nor has it held still. The vice has gone unreplaced, but in almost everything else there has been change aplenty. Some processes that used to be tightly held together are now strung out across the world; some processes that used to be quite separate are now as close as the workers and designers... Assembling parts into cars, washing machines or aircraft adds less value than once it did; design, supply-chain management, aftercare, servicing and the like add much more. [Source: The Economist, 14 Jan 2017]
Then look more closely at Trump's boast that his bullying obliged Ford to abandon a $1.6bn plant in San Luis Potosí, and instead create all of 700 jobs in Michigan. Sounds good? Well, except the two projects aren't comparable: the Michigan scheme is for electric vehicles (new technology), San Luis Potosí would have involved conventional Focus models (which will still be built in Mexico, but at Hermosillo).

Since the rest of storybud1's vacuous post is recycled shock-jock verbiage and incoherence, I'll leave it there.

Notachipanoaktree

Yez just don't get it. The industrialists make the work. We do the work. The so called educated ( not all..never all) run away with the money with appalling attitude for doing nothing but annoying the face off the people who make the world go around.

Nothing from yez but Hash driven BS and dirty filthy habits beneath the stupidly expensive ridiculous designer clothes.

Last edited:

GDPR

What should an incoming US President be saying at this moment?
"This was not supposed to happen."

On the bright side 50% of Americans now know what democracy actually means and it turns out it isn't always getting what you want.

Last edited:

Notachipanoaktree

Somehow I doubt we could ever be "pals". So, don't attempt such a bar-room patronising.

"2 old wars"? In truth I am thinking of at least four: two World Wars (117,000 and 405,000 respectively), Korea (54,000), and Vietnam (58,000). Trump was surely wrong to equate that with mythical job-losses. Post-Truthery apart, the Obama years added 11.3 million jobs to the pay-roll. Nowhere as good as the Clinton years, admittedly — but streets better than either Bush administration. Similarly, through the Obama years, wage growth has consistently edged up.

That means Trump's "American carnage" is a straight lie — except in terms of manufacturing. It is easy to see why politicians love manufacturing:

Then look more closely at Trump's boast that his bullying obliged Ford to abandon a $1.6bn plant in San Luis Potosí, and instead create all of 700 jobs in Michigan. Sounds good? Well, except the two projects aren't comparable: the Michigan scheme is for electric vehicles (new technology), San Luis Potosí would have involved conventional Focus models (which will still be built in Mexico, but at Hermosillo).

Since the rest of storybud1's vacuous post is recycled shock-jock verbiage and incoherence, I'll leave it there.
You're days of Party are nearly over.You'z really are an arrogant shower of nothing.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
That's all as may be. The president is however a horses arse.
That's also as may be. Look; we all know Trump is a thin-skinned, greedy, self-centred, vindictive ignoramus. The fact that he got voted in shows just how utterly sick people are of the status quo. Trump's statement on Islamic terrorism was a breath of fresh air.

mossyman

That's also as may be. Look; we all know Trump is a thin-skinned, greedy, self-centred, vindictive ignoramus. The fact that he got voted in shows just how utterly sick people are of the status quo. Trump's statement on Islamic terrorism was a breath of fresh air.
Any idea how he is going to completely eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of the earth? There is one promise that can't be fulfilled if ever I saw one. There only needs to be one terrorist attack after his presidency and he has failed.

Notachipanoaktree

Any idea how he is going to completely eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of the earth? There is one promise that can't be fulfilled if ever I saw one. There only needs to be one terrorist attack after his presidency and he has failed.
Sorry Mossyman. That's just simply rubbish.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies