Wuhan coronavirus - Coming Soon?

cozzy121

With a new case found in the USA it's only a matter of time before this virus hits Ireland.

I think we should open a thread on this as we tract it's inevitable progress.

Good luck everybody and remember to wash your hands after you use the toilet and before you pick your noses

enuffisenuff

scary stuff....lets hope its contained!

michael-mcivor

People told not to be travelling to Wuhan not that I was thinking of going- there was a flight which landed from Wuhan to Heathrow today and I heard one of the english passengers telling the radio that he got off as usual was given some written material in case you have any symptoms then went about his business without a care in the world- not be long till the world gets it if that’s health and safety-

NYCKY

Lets hope it gets under control soon. The authorities there are kind of "quarantining" Wuhan for now.

Wuhan coronavirus death toll rises, as city imposes transport lockdown

On Wednesday, the Chinese city of Wuhan -- where the virus was first identified -- said it would "temporarily" close its airport and railway stations for departing passengers. All public transport services will also be suspended, as authorities attempt to contain the virus.

Hillmanhunter1

This new strain is of concern and the authorities should take all appropriate actions, but lets have a little perspective:

"In Ireland, between 200 and 500 people, mainly older people, die from flu each winter. Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths."

What is flu? - HSE.ie

Dame_Enda

It seems inevitable given increasing travel between Ireland and China, notably by students.

800 people died in China from the SARS virus years ago. I recall Westlife saying the govt didnt want them flying in during it.

cozzy121

This new strain is of concern and the authorities should take all appropriate actions, but lets have a little perspective:

"In Ireland, between 200 and 500 people, mainly older people, die from flu each winter. Every year, around the world, flu causes between 3 and 5 million cases of severe disease and up to 646, 000 deaths."

What is flu? - HSE.ie
the mortality rate for it is higher than the flu

"Around 15 to 20 per cent of hospital cases are severe and the current death rate stands at about two per cent. This is quite high but it may be because authorities are not aware of milder cases of the disease."

Half Nelson

Don't shake hands with people when there's a virus about.

We've just had a major flu outbreak, with deaths and packed a&e, yet our health authorities failed to give even this basic advice to the public.
Also, the churches urgently need to dispense with the "sign of peace" - a virus party and a nonsense at the best of times. How many people spent Christmas in bed or in hospital because their neighbour wished them "peace"?

cozzy121

We've just had a major flu outbreak, with deaths and packed a&e, yet our health authorities failed to give even this basic advice to the public.
Also, the churches urgently need to dispense with the "sign of peace" - a virus party and a nonsense at the best of times. How many people spent Christmas in bed or in hospital because their neighbour wished them "peace"?
doesn't the "sign of peace" come with a dispensation from god against diseases?

petaljam

doesn't the "sign of peace" come with a dispensation from god against diseases?
Seems a bit mean of him, if not. Or perhaps they never asked him what sort of ceremony he wanted. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe, like Bart Simpson feared, it shows he doesn't approve at all? In fact maybe he's getting angrier and angrier because they're doing it wrong? Though it's a shame he never just comes out and explains once and for all who's right and who's wrong. Classic passive-aggressive, isn't it, and playing people off against each other with that ambiguity. Not a nice person at all, God. :whistle:

Half Nelson

Seems a bit mean of him, if not. Or perhaps they never asked him what sort of ceremony he wanted. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe, like Bart Simpson feared, it shows he doesn't approve at all? In fact maybe he's getting angrier and angrier because they're doing it wrong? Though it's a shame he never just comes out and explains once and for all who's right and who's wrong. Classic passive-aggressive, isn't it, and playing people off against each other with that ambiguity. Not a nice person at all, God. :whistle:
And another topical thread turns into a smartass fest.:rolleyes:

firefly123

It seems inevitable given increasing travel between Ireland and China, notably by students.

800 people died in China from the SARS virus years ago. I recall Westlife saying the govt didnt want them flying in during it.
I would humbly opine that westlife should not have flown after it either.

with or without wings

Rural

Over here people insist on kissing you, a kiss for each cheek (face cheeks I mean) every time you meet them, even if you only met them yesterday.

There was a bad flu going about here before and after Christmas, but the kissing continued and the flu went on and on and it's still going about.

Now when I see an oncoming "kisser", I do a little shrink with a wave and a "Hi", they get the message and kissing will resume in the Springtime.

Viruses come and go, we should all be hygienic, but after that what can we do except be frightened and what's the point in that?

Half Nelson

Over here people insist on kissing you, a kiss for each cheek (face cheeks I mean) every time you meet them, even if you only met them yesterday.

There was a bad flu going about here before and after Christmas, but the kissing continued and the flu went on and on and it's still going about.

Now when I see an oncoming "kisser", I do a little shrink with a wave and a "Hi", they get the message and kissing will resume in the Springtime.

Viruses come and go, we should all be hygienic, but after that what can we do except be frightened and what's the point in that?
Kissing is actually far less likely to spread a virus than is shaking hands. It has all to do with people touching their noses.
You're right - we need a no-touching season. If we start now and it becomes an accepted practise it may save a lot of lives when the big one arrives.

Half Nelson

What is it about China, that it produces more deadly viruses than any jungle hotspot?

Half Nelson

Well, China being the most populated country in the world is bound to, innit.
No so. We should see similar outbreaks in other areas/countries with dense populations.
It appears to be the Chinese practises of close contact with animals that spurs the development of dangerous viruses which easily travel from animals to humans.
The Chinese may need to take a hard look at some of their cultural practices before they kill us all.

Last edited:

Rural

No so. We should see similar outbreaks in other areas/countries with dense populations.
It appears to be the Chinese practises of close contact with animals that spurs the development of dangerous viruses which easily travel from animals to humans.
The Chinese may need to take a hard look at some of their cultural practises before they kill us all.
Sorry, I'm not well up on the cultural practices of the Chinese with animals whose diseases spread to humans, if you have a link to further information I would be grateful.

New Threads

Most Replies