Wuhan coronavirus - Coming Soon?

Cdebru

Can we please stop whingeing please and get behind the government.
As my username suggests, I am involved in sport, I am a sports coach, my work involves being in various schools during the week and coaching outdoors on weekends.

All my work is gone, imagine that, all your work wiped out over night.
It is bloody depressing, it kills me, I will get assistance from the government but we must get behind the government, there are no easy decisions.

But spare a thought for me and others, who work in fitness and sport and who are not in regular type employment but I support the government.

Boo hoo what you think it is just you that has lost work ?

This is a politics site we are here to discuss politics and the governments actions good bad and indifferent, if you think we should all just pull on the green jersey and forget about any mistakes they have made and are making then maybe you need to log off or just avoid this thread.

Beachcomber

As my username suggests, I am involved in sport, I am a sports coach, my work involves being in various schools during the week and coaching outdoors on weekends.

It is bloody depressing, it kills me, I will get assistance from the government but we must get behind the government, there are no easy decisions.

But spare a thought for me and others, who work in fitness and sport and who are not in regular type employment but I support the government.

Did you come second?

LISTOWEL MAN

according to Woody Allen, there is a bit of a silver lining to being a pariah in America, where he’s unable to find distribution for his films

“To be an artist whose work isn’t seen in his own country and is forced, because of injustice, to have his public abroad,” .

“Henry Miller comes to mind. D.H. Lawrence. James Joyce. I see myself standing amongst them defiantly.

Dame_Enda

Looks like the wheels coming off the fiction of Russia's relatively low Covid-19 casualties. Belarus recently said Russia was "ablaze" with the cases of it. Putin has delayed the vote on constitutional changes designed to let him stay in power until 2036. Also a lockdown of businesses has been announced, and Euronews says Russia seems to be "preparing for the worst".

cozzy121

Should we force banks to send out contactless cards to all customers? And perhaps impose charges on those who use cash when making payments in shops? Cards are far safer than cash.
Until the payment system goes down. Stop being stupid and Think, all systems need redundancy

Orbit v2

Yesterday Simon Harris left government buildings to walk to his department and and a man and woman coughed in his face and laughed at him and ran away.

Give the man a break.
Miriam Lord in today's IT said:
As the country stirringly unites to combat a viral pandemic, a middle-aged man and a woman of similar age spot the Minister for Health walking along a Dublin side-street. So the man picks up speed until he draws level, then he steps in close and coughs theatrically in front of the Minister while laughing out loud at his hilarious impudence.

This witless poltroon says nothing. He scuttles back to his smiling companion with a self-satisfied grin across his stupid face.
Well said Miriam. Sounds like the sort of person who would protest outside his family home. Scum bags, lower than a rat's testicle. The gardai should take it upon themselves to see if there is any CCTV of the incident

CatullusV

What you work at is a very important role. Participation in sport is so much more than a silly add-on to life. It has health benefits. Not simply physical but mental.

There will be work for you to do when this is over.

Baron von Biffo

toughbutfair

To be fair the response lately has been reasonable, but they are at least two weeks behind what they should be. For, instance they should have closed the door to those Italian rugby fans, the measures taken in the last 24 hours should have been implemented sooner.

The emergency welfare payments was a good call. They are bailing out people, rather than corporations.
I don’t see what is reasonable about being 2 weeks late. I think the government have been weak and weakness is a terrible trait. They had bars open and chippers packed as the virus got passed around - their fault. They allowed virus ridden Italians to come here, they let people fly in from anywhere, they allowed people go to Cheltenham. They then only made a half arsed attempt to shut non essential business the day after the UK and even then allow 4 people to group.

FG have contributed to many people catching the virus.

toughbutfair

The government should be held to account for their errors. Only fools blindly follow their government. I appreciate you are going through hard times but the crises will pass. A politics website isn’t for cheerleading, it is for discussing government decisions and pointing out perceived errors.

owedtojoy

The government should be held to account for their errors. Only fools blindly follow their government. I appreciate you are going through hard times but the crises will pass. A politics website isn’t for cheerleading, it is for discussing government decisions and pointing out perceived errors.
Every Government makes errors, as a wise man told me once "Show me someone who never made a mistake, and I will show you someone who never achieved anything."

The Government did not make the biggest error of all - doing nothing.

Just pointing out perceived errors is sterile negative hurler-on-the-ditch Monday-morning-quarterbacking. Any assessment of Government actions has to take into the account the many things they got right. Balanced criticism is more likely to be convincing.

owedtojoy

I don’t see what is reasonable about being 2 weeks late. I think the government have been weak and weakness is a terrible trait. They had bars open and chippers packed as the virus got passed around - their fault. They allowed virus ridden Italians to come here, they let people fly in from anywhere, they allowed people go to Cheltenham. They then only made a half arsed attempt to shut non essential business the day after the UK and even then allow 4 people to group.

FG have contributed to many people catching the virus.
Hindsight is 20 - 20. The government were ahead in getting the Italy-Ireland rugby match cancelled, an action many criticised. Premature action might have done worse damage to the economy. So each decision had to be timely as well as appropriate.

It is amazing how so many experts in handlng pandemics have suddenly emerged. We know a lot more now than we did a month ago, but then Ireland was in a totally new situation. I am sure when all this is over, there will be plenty to criticise or carp about. But, judging by the international response from bigger countries, Ireland is not the worst-off, and is probably one of the better responding countries.

AyaanMyHero

An article that talks about Irish health system being overwhelmed in the near future, yet does not document where the situation stands now in terms of hospitalised CV19 patients, what the trend is, how many free beds we have and so on.

I have been tracking hospitalised CV19 numbers (only one part of the story when it comes to our ability to cope) over the past few days but I have not been able to find up to date information as of yesterday. Forward information if you have found it.

Surely this potential of health system overwhelming is the main reason for all the actions on distancing, quarantining, business closures and so on

Surely, it is important to keep the public properly informed of the importance of these actions and how close we are to disaster.

Anyone else frustrated with the lack of numbers on this most important aspect of the situation ?

recedite

I've now researched this in the following books:-

Constitutional Law in Ireland - Kelly

The Constitution and Constitutional Change in Ireland - Chubb

Administrative Law in Ireland - Hogan and Gwynn-Morgan

Constitutional Law - Ryan

Constitutional Law of Ireland - Gwynn-Morgan

The Politics of the Irish Constitution - Chubb

How Ireland is Governed - O'Donnell

The Constitution of Ireland 1937-1987 Litton (Ed.)

The Government and Politics of Ireland - Chubb

And also in the reports of both the 1967 and 1996 Constitutional Review Groups.

None of them even mention the matter let alone offer an opinion on it.

Given the grave consequences if the opinion offered in those IT articles and elsewhere is correct, it seems an odd omission.
Its an interesting conundrum, but I think the Labour Party view has already been proven correct by a kind of precedent set by the Coronavirus itself.
The Dail has been meeting recently without the full membership attending, so why wouldn't the Seanad do the same?
The FG view (below) is not consistent with their view that current sittings of the Dail are "constitutionally valid"...
The view is that a Seanad with 49 members is not properly constituted and can’t have proper Constitutional standing until the Taoiseach names the 11 nominees.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies