Wuhan coronavirus - Coming Soon?

AyaanMyHero

36 patients in icu, at the moment, is the figure I heard.
That has gone up quite quickly from last week, when it was 18.

However, there are 250 ICU beds in Ireland and the work done recently has ramped that up to a potential 500, maybe more.
If there are 1600 infections and 36 icu cases, (rate of 2.5%) some of whom might be manageable in a High Dependency unit (ie not ventilated), then that looks ok at the moment.

I am trying to be optimistic, I think it's ok to be optimistic.
Yep, the numbers in ICU are reported regularly and widely but the number hospitalized is not.

brigg

Hindsight? Stevie Wonder could have seen that cancelling the Italy rugby match was not enough, as fans had already booked flights and hotels and would still travel.

This was said at the time. There is room for reasoned criticism and questioning. If people want a forum to blindly praise government, Twitter is a place to find that.
By hiding behind the excuse that hindsight is wonderful, politicians can play dumb and get away with all sorts of neglegence and poor performance. It's a justification for uselessness.
The hindsight excuse was thrown around after the economic crash also. Its not as if they weren't warned.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

I apologize in advance - I have not had a chance to read and catch up on all the messages. Here is yet another total asshole of a woman in Pennsylvania who deliberately coughed on $35,000 worth of food that then had to be rubbished. If anyone else has posted it, I'm sorry I repeated it. I am horrified with some of the sick beings that we have to live with.

max99

Anybody here shop in SuperValu?

I opened an online shopping account last week and there was 15 euro off over 75 euro purchase first order, then yesterday when I went to place order the offer is gone.

And this in the UK now.

I apologize in advance - I have not had a chance to read and catch up on all the messages. Here is yet another total asshole of a woman in Pennsylvania who deliberately coughed on $35,000 worth of food that then had to be rubbished. If anyone else has posted it, I'm sorry I repeated it. I am horrified with some of the sick beings that we have to live with.

hope that she is prosecuted .. and given at least 3 months...and lfet go hungry fir a few days... she may value food a little more then...A disgusting oxygen thief is what she
is... 😔

owedtojoy

Hindsight? Stevie Wonder could have seen that cancelling the Italy rugby match was not enough, as fans had already booked flights and hotels and would still travel.

This was said at the time. There is room for reasoned criticism and questioning. If people want a forum to blindly praise government, Twitter is a place to find that.
I always said the Government was not perfect in its handling of the crisis. It is doing ok at this early stage - we have yet to find out if there have been adequate preparations for the peak cases yet to come. Follwing that, there are the economic shocks to be managed.

This is not over, and I think Government performance has been good so far.

There are Governments doing worse (Spain, the Netherland, the UK). There are governments apparently doing better (Germany).

But no one has been able to point out a model of absolute perfection. South Korea did very well ... but was very well prepared after bad experiences with MERS and SARS. We have benefitted from their experience.and have one of the best testing programmes in Europe.

But there will always be people with the Old Irish Inferiority Complex who cannot admit that we can look after out own affairs quite well. Not perfectly, but well enough.

amsterdemmetje

I always said the Government was not perfect in its handling of the crisis. It is doing ok at this early stage - we have yet to find out if there have been adequate preparations for the peak cases yet to come. Follwing that, there are the economic shocks to be managed.

There are Governments doing worse (Spain, the Netherland, the UK). There are governments apparently doing better (Germany).

But no one has been able to point out a model of absolute perfection. South Korea did very well ... but was very well prepared after bad experiences with MERS and SARS. We have benefitted from their experience.and have one of the best testing programmes in Europe.

But there will always be people with the Old Irish Inferiority Complex who cannot admit that we can look after out own affairs quite well. Not perfectly, but well enough.
My daughter got let go from her job weekend before last she put her Covid19 Payment form into the letterbox of our local welfare office last Thursday and got her first payment on Tuesday of this week that was efficient in any sense of the word.

Cnoc a Leassa

Outside of those managing the crisis, of what possible benefit is it to know what the ICU capacity is?
Same question can be asked of Government and RTE giving hgh profile coverage to establishing temporary mortuary facilities to cope with number of dead, and story that Ireland could be quickly overwhelmed by new cases, and then reading in a part sentance in the middle of the story that "The ECDC’s modelling is based on official figures for ICU capacity in Ireland, and does not take account of actions taken to increase this capacity in recent weeks."

max99

Anecdotal account that Tallaght A&E is packed with patients today; all with minor DIY injuries. Action and unplanned reaction always happens.
what a crowd of muppets.... orthopedic surgeon was on radio only yesterday.. requesting that people stay away from ladders etc .. as that are already inundated with patients due to covid

petaljam

Anecdotal account that Tallaght A&E is packed with patients today; all with minor DIY injuries. Action and unplanned reaction always happens.
We're the opposite here - I'm in an area that hasn't yet been hit very hard, but not that far from other places that have. A GP friend here told me (on the phone!) this weekend that they're expecting CV19 to start to really hit badly within the next week here, and that in fact at the minute they're seeing far fewer people than usual.
Which is good IMO, so I really hope you're wrong.

recedite

I suppose a third possibility would be to set things up as a clinical trial of an experimental medicine and get patients to agree to some kind waiver or disclaimer (I assume that's how the French did this). I'd guess there must be some pre-existing framework for doing this. Though, some control percentage of those participating would then probably be randomly assigned a placebo treatment.
Indeed, but I'm wondering what HSE policy is right now.
Are they giving the coronavirus patients this choice, or not?

ShoutingIsLeadership

By hiding behind the excuse that hindsight is wonderful, politicians can play dumb and get away with all sorts of neglegence and poor performance. It's a justification for uselessness.
The hindsight excuse was thrown around after the economic crash also. Its not as if they weren't warned.
Very well said.

Finbar10

Outside of those managing the crisis, of what possible benefit is it to know what the ICU capacity is?
Same question can be asked of Government and RTE giving hgh profile coverage to establishing temporary mortuary facilities to cope with number of dead, and story that Ireland could be quickly overwhelmed by new cases, and then reading in a part sentance in the middle of the story that "The ECDC’s modelling is based on official figures for ICU capacity in Ireland, and does not take account of actions taken to increase this capacity in recent weeks."
Two reasons come to mind:
  1. Fear: A degree of well-founded fear is not necessarily a bad thing. It may motivate the public to better observe social distancing and other precautions if they are aware that there may otherwise come a point when ICUs are no longer available.
  2. Democratic accountability/transparency: Figures should be in the public domain. This may pressure public officials to try to overcome a lack when it is still possible, e.g. the HSE has been reassuring us that they have adequate access to PPE. Coverage in the press that this may not be the case may motivate them to do their best in ensuring this will be the case (same for ICU capacity).

ShoutingIsLeadership

Why did you feel the need to add that last paragraph? It only serves to show that there is an attitude in Ireland of deference to betters which still prevails.

By what measure are you saying that we are doing well? Comparing us to basket cases isn't ideal.

Of course this government has done some things well, but it is all over the place on its messaging about tests.

Oh and I guess there are some of us on the left who have for years and years been arguing for improved investment in our public services...public medicine, childcare, etc....and we are seeing the consequences of that long term individualisation and privatisation of society...a scramble to build up those public services to cope with this.

Finbar10

Indeed, but I'm wondering what HSE policy is right now.
Are they giving the coronavirus patients this choice, or not?
Did a quick google and, actually, here are some recent HSE guidelines to doctors: https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/ac...ratory-infection-with-sars-cov-2-covid-19.pdf
It looks like such treatments are allowed in severe cases (subject to the doctor's own judgment) and in somewhat less severe cases where they may be significant co-morbidities. These guidelines were dated the 12th March. Possibly if more evidence comes in regarding the effectiveness/safety of different treatments, the thresholds might be revised downwards.

Popular Threads

Most Replies