Wuhan coronavirus - Coming Soon?

Super Caley

That's simply not true. The flu for instance is nasty for a week or two, then there is a recovery period which might last several months but its victims do eventually come back to full fitness. It does not cause heart damage or the wide range of longer term ill effects that COVID19.
I'm not arguing for a long term lockdown. I don't think anyone ever suggested such a solution. However it is very clear that many people, and not just the young ,are still not taking this at all seriously. For instance this incurable moron:
Most people in Ireland are still not wearing masks in shops. Pubs in my area are opening and only paying lip service to the guidelines with the result that social distancing has gone out the window. Things are largely back to normal despite the dangers. There was a new cluster discovered last week caused by a collection of fools who had a karaoke party in Limavady Co Derry even though one of them had just returned from England. That is the sort of idiocy that people who are being told that they are at low risk are getting up to. They need to get the message that even though they may not die from this because they are younger, they are still putting their health at long term risk.
In other words, we do need to resume normal economic activity as far as possible, but we also need to recognise the need to stop being stupidly complacent.
Post Viral fatigue is a well recognised syndrome, and has been long before Covid came along;

So if some people take a while to get back on their feet, there is nothing new in that at all.
Of course we don't know about longer term effects as it hasn't been around for long enough

For that matter, the flu can be very nasty, and of course can kill, hence why there is such an effort to vaccinate the vulnerable.
Although I think that the analogy between Covid and the flu is a bit misleading, nevertheless saying something is akin to a bad flu, does not imply that it is trivial. The epidemiology of flu outbreaks and Covid are quite similar.

We (as in society at large) are faced with a delicate balancing act between various risks. Over stating one risk to the exclusion of others is not helpful. Pointing this out does not equate to aligning with some US nutter who claims that masks cause covid.

(And I don't know where you live or when you've been in a shop last, but as far as I can see the vast vast majority of folk are abiding by the masks in shops rule)

raetsel

Post Viral fatigue is a well recognised syndrome, and has been long before Covid came along;
From your link:
However, if symptoms such as these linger for longer than a few weeks, a person should talk to their doctor.

This is entirely different.

We (as in society at large) are faced with a delicate balancing act between various risks. Over stating one risk to the exclusion of others is not helpful. Pointing this out does not equate to aligning with some US nutter who claims that masks cause covid.

(And I don't know where you live or when you've been in a shop last, but as far as I can see the vast vast majority of folk are abiding by the masks in shops rule)
Not true where I live. At most 10/20%. I'm not overstating the risks.

firefly123

The figures coming out of India are worrying.
50,000 cases today and 700 deaths in a country that wouldn't have much health care resilience anyway.

jimbohane

I read in the Westmeath Independent that despite the government directive that only licenced premises that had a licence to serve food could open before the 10th a well known public house in Athlone ''The Snug Bar'' is planning to open at 3pm tomorrow. They will be supplying their customers with pizzas from the adjacent pizza restaurant 'Pavarottis' to provide the substantial meal that the Covid 19 regulations demand. If this goes ahead we will see many more public houses follow suit but perhaps I am wrong but I thought that the licenced premises had to prepare and serve the food themselves and charge 9 euro for it otherwise why not just allow customers to bring in their own food to eat ? It seems a bit strange opening a week before the official opening for all pubs on the 10th but it will be interesting to see if the Gardai will force them to shut as was the case with another publican in Limerick who tried to open before the official date.

caledhel

Thanks to Medcram. Its cool and studious eye has been a good source during this emergency. A 100 episodes in it is.

TakeitAll

So if some people take a while to get back on their feet, there is nothing new in that at all.
Of course we don't know about longer term effects as it hasn't been around for long enough

For that matter, the flu can be very nasty, and of course can kill, hence why there is such an effort to vaccinate the vulnerable.
Although I think that the analogy between Covid and the flu is a bit misleading, nevertheless saying something is akin to a bad flu, does not imply that it is trivial. The epidemiology of flu outbreaks and Covid are quite similar.

What rule is that? I have not worn a mask yet. Will do when go to barbers, doctors etc. but if i am popping into a shop (not that busy or crammed) i don't see the need. Just have to be careful. I haven't observed anyone coughing, sneezing or spluttering.

Splodge

What rule is that? I have not worn a mask yet. Will do when go to barbers, doctors etc. but if i am popping into a shop (not that busy or crammed) i don't see the need. Just have to be careful. I haven't observed anyone coughing, sneezing or spluttering.
Aren’t you wonderful?

owedtojoy

Word of advice ... you need to get into the discipline of wearing masks and stick to it. Otherwise, you may well forget to wear one at a vital moment.

And the virus enters the air just by someone breathing - coughing just increases the volume expelled significantly.

Lastly, by wearing a mask, you are telling the people around you that you not only take your own health seriously, but theirs as well. You could be asymptomatic and still spreading the virus.

greencharade

Word of advice ... you need to get into the discipline of wearing masks and stick to it. Otherwise, you may well forget to wear one at a vital moment.

And the virus enters the air just by someone breathing - coughing just increases the volume expelled significantly.

Lastly, by wearing a mask, you are telling the people around you that you not only take your own health seriously, but theirs as well. You could be asymptomatic and still spreading the virus.
Ahh, so it's a public display of virtue. Thought as much.

Gin Soaked

Ahh, so it's a public display of virtue. Thought as much.
Yep. A bit like actually queuing for service, choosing to slow down in a housing estate.

Or, let's say you were HIV positive, and you decided NOT to sleep around and actively tell prospective partners that you were positive.

Basically not being a selfish sociopath.

greencharade

Yep. A bit like actually queuing for service, choosing to slow down in a housing estate.

Or, let's say you were HIV positive, and you decided NOT to sleep around and actively tell prospective partners that you were positive.

Basically not being a selfish sociopath.
Don't think anyone is suggesting that a person diagnosed as Covid positive should be out and about.

Or are you suggesting that everyone should not have sex?

Gin Soaked

Don't think anyone is suggesting that a person diagnosed as Covid positive should be out and about.

Analogy is that if there was a decent prevalence of HIV in a population, unprotected sex is reckless, and the more partners one has, the exponentially bigger risk.

So responsible people changed their behaviour to protect themselves from contracting and transmitting something unwittingly.

The same applies here, but replace sex with touching surfaces and breathing the same air.

Finbar10

I remember a lot of HIV campaigns where a core general message was basically wearing a "mask" on one's willy, i.e. a condom! ;)

TakeitAll

There is a lot of speculation about how the virus is passed but are any of those solid facts or just scientific theories/guesswork? At the beginning of this we were told you had to be in close proximity to someone for 15 mins that then disappeared and various advice followed. I expect most transmission is from touch, germs on doors, handles etc. that get into people's mouth or nose by them putting their fingers in them. So washing hands thoroughly is main thing.

Your last paragraph is telling. I would say lots of people are wearing masks so they can tut tut to those who choose not to...and it is a choice.

owedtojoy

There is a lot of speculation about how the virus is passed but are any of those solid facts or just scientific theories/guesswork? At the beginning of this we were told you had to be in close proximity to someone for 15 mins that then disappeared and various advice followed. I expect most transmission is from touch, germs on doors, handles etc. that get into people's mouth or nose by them putting their fingers in them. So washing hands thoroughly is main thing.

Your last paragraph is telling. I would say lots of people are wearing masks so they can tut tut to those who choose not to...and it is a choice.
Masks are mandatory in many places, such as on public transport, and will become mandatory in shops, too. Better to get used to the discipline of wearing one, imho.

Covid-19 was unknown before this year, so it should not surprise anyone if public health advice was inconsistent in the early weeks. In fact, more is still being learned, and there is still much more to discover.

From the HSE website.

You can get the virus if you come into close contact with someone who has the virus. It is spread through droplets that come from your nose and mouth. For example, from someone who is talking loud, singing, shouting, coughing or sneezing.

You can also get the virus from surfaces, for example, when someone who has the virus sneezes. Droplets containing the virus can fall onto surfaces around them. If you touch that surface and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth, you could become infected too.

TakeitAll

Masks are mandatory in many places, such as on public transport, and will become mandatory in shops, too. Better to get used to the discipline of wearing one, imho.

Covid-19 was unknown before this year, so it should not surprise anyone if public health advice was inconsistent in the early weeks. In fact, more is still being learned, and there is still much more to discover.

From the HSE website.

So nothing about it simply being passed by breathing. No I won't wear a mask unless in an enclosed place e.g. public transport etc. Remember when this was at its peak not many wore masks, now all of a sudden many are when it is petering out. You would wonder sometimes.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom