• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

X Case Demonstration At Dáil 6 pm 28th November

Ramon Mercadar

Protest for X Case legislation Dáil 6 pm 28 November.

NEVER AGAIN. Make the government hear us - Call for legislation for Savita on Wednesday November 28 at 6:00pm, Dáil Kildare Street.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=526240070719659&set=a.465187576824909.116946.465176890159311&type=1&theater

Clare Daly has reintroduced legislation on abortion that was rejected in the Dáil last April with a correction she said Minister for Health James Reilly had recommended. She said the debate had really highlighted how “inappropriate it is to have in our Constitution a clause that equates the life of the unborn with the life of the woman. That is the root of this problem.”

The legislation will be debated on 27 & 28 November and the vote is expected to take place on Wednesday night, November 28. The Dail Debate will be broadcast live outside. We need to make the government hear us - we need to keep the pressure on.

Text of Bill: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2012/10312/document1.htm

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I'd like to see it legislated for but I don't think the government will let it fly tbh.

james5001

Quick question- Does a referendum need to be held for the X case?

Hooch

I'd like to see it legislated for but I don't think the government will let it fly tbh.
The government certainly won't let Daly be the one to do it, this will be voted down and probably voted on again in the new year if the redneck element of Fine Gael don't try and torpedo it first.

james5001

We already had a referendum 20 years ago.
But the Supreme Court made a ruling. To put that ruling into law, does a referendum need to take place?

Hooch

We already had a referendum 20 years ago.
And again 10 years ago, the result of which retained the risk of suicide as justification for a termination, a fact that has been conspicuously absent from the debate thus far.

MariaMcN

Stop exploiting a tragic case to push your pro-abortion agenda. It's disgusting.

Hooch

But the Supreme Court made a ruling. To put that ruling into law, does a referendum need to take place?
A referendum is only required to amend the constitution, the Supreme Court has already ruled that the constitution allows for abortion on the grounds laid down in the X case, therefore we do not need a referendum.

james5001

not unless it is intended to remove suicide as a reason. Already attempted in 1992 and 2002, failed both times.
So they could just pass it in the dail? That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying.

james5001

A referendum is only required to amend the constitution, the Supreme Court has already ruled that the constitution allows for abortion on the grounds laid down in the X case, therefore we do not need a referendum.
Yeah, I thought that too, thanks.

Red_93

Stop exploiting a tragic case to push your pro-abortion agenda. It's disgusting.
You simply cannot have legislation isolated from real events. Simple fact. Would you have said the same if people had campaigned for better health and safety legislation in the aftermath of Hilsborough for example?

sport02

Frank Fitzgibbon ‏@FrankSunTimes

Frank Fitzgibbon ‏@FrankSunTimes
Praveen's lawyer tells SunTimes his client will not co-operate with HIQA: knocks Enda for trying to drive a wedge between him and his client
That Indian runs the risk of losing Irish public opinion support., I want, I want, I want, seems to be the vibe from him of late.

ger12

not unless it is intended to remove suicide as a reason. Already attempted in 1992 and 2002, failed both times.
It's worth noting that in 2002 49% of the people accepted the proposal to remove suicide as a reason to abort and 51% voted against it - many of them pro life. Both pro choice and pro life people canvassed against the proposed amendment.

MariaMcN

You simply cannot have legislation isolated from real events. Simple fact. Would you have said the same if people had campaigned for better health and safety legislation in the aftermath of Hilsborough for example?
The OP is an advocate for full abortion rights without any restrictions. He regularly posts links to sites calling for the complete decriminalisation of abortion. He doesn't want legislation, he wants the law to stay out of abortion! He and other abortion advocates are cynically using the tragic Galway case to push their agenda. It's opportunism of the most detestable kind.

Future Irish Leader

I agree legislation on the x case needs to be implemented, but I believe that it should be considered carefully and not pushed through the dail just as a reaction to this sad case. I believe abortion should be legal in the case of rape, incest or the life of the mother being threatened. However I think the pro choice groups jumping on the bandwagon and trying to push their agenda on the back of the death of a woman who miscarried and got blood poisoning is wrong. It is sick they are pushing their agenda on the back of this. I would normally listen to the pro choice groups opinions and have flirted with being pro choice in the past, but I think now that a fetus shouldn't be destroyed just because it's an inconvenience.