Y do charities waste money on big fancy events

mindyk007

Do you ever notice any time you hear about a big charity event or fundraiser you see stars or wealthy people dressed up to the nines getting wined and dined all in the name of charity..would the aim of a charity not be to hold on and save every cent for the purpose of helping the beneficiaries ...and shame on any very wealthy stars for performing at such events and getting paid thousands for it.my aunt is a Secretary for a well known charity and she is forever going to these elite events on behalf of the charity in question and they get to bring their partners and get free hotel accommodation and everything free travel and she is on a very good wage..this world is so backwards its not even funny!:confused:

afns1

Do you ever notice any time you hear about a big charity event or fundraiser you see stars or wealthy people dressed up to the nines getting wined and dined all in the name of charity..would the aim of a charity not be to hold on and save every cent for the purpose of helping the beneficiaries ...and shame on any very wealthy stars for performing at such events and getting paid thousands for it.my aunt is a Secretary for a well known charity and she is forever going to these elite events on behalf of the charity in question and they get to bring their partners and get free hotel accommodation and everything free travel and she is on a very good wage..this world is so backwards its not even funny!:confused:
I agree. The cheapest way is if people just donate or set up standing orders to their charities. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some people don't do that but will "support" a charity through an event.

I remember a letter in a newspaper about people collecting on the street and he was saying they should have big events instead. Big events "cost" time and money. I'm involved in an all-volunteer charitable group and we can only get volunteers for a few hours. We haven't been able to put on many big events. We may end up in the future employing people to fundraise as overall we might take in more in total but a smaller percentage of the donated money would go to the cause.

mindyk007

damn cant get the articles i was reading to connect via link but you only have to type in celebs get paid for charity gigs and loads are there and how much they get..its madness

mindyk007

I agree. The cheapest way is if people just donate or set up standing orders to their charities. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some people don't do that but will "support" a charity through an event.

I remember a letter in a newspaper about people collecting on the street and he was saying they should have big events instead. Big events "cost" time and money. I'm involved in an all-volunteer charitable group and we can only get volunteers for a few hours. We haven't been able to put on many big events. We may end up in the future employing people to fundraise as overall we might take in more in total but a smaller percentage of the donated money would go to the cause.
my bother runs a mens addiction home and the government give no funding so they did a car wash a while back and all the friends and families of the men came and washed cars..it was good...but it makes you angry that rich stars actually take the money for performing and my brother doesn't wine and dine people with the charities money he accounts for it all...what would it be for Cheryl Cole to sing a few songs for free?

livingstone

Mostly because it's the simplest way of making very large sums of money. A mid-level gala event can make a profit in the region of €50,000-€100,000. Imagine how long it takes to get that much through street collections? It's a no brainer.

mindyk007

Mostly because it's the simplest way of making very large sums of money. A mid-level gala event can make a profit in the region of €50,000-€100,000. Imagine how long it takes to get that much through street collections? It's a no brainer.
ye but if they made people pay there own meal and transport and the hotel donated the room and the greedy stars sang for free then the charity would have all the money to help the cause..no brainer..if people really want to help charities then they would not mind doing all this..its mainly wealthy people who go to the fancy events anyway

livingstone

1) if you work for an organisation and are required to attend at events as part of your work, it's standard practise that you are not required to pay for your ticket.

2) you're basically saying 'why don't hotels and celebs give their services for free more often as a charitable donation' - which might be a valid discussion, but not what the thread asks, which is why run events. I suspect, though, that the reason is that charity events is a big sector within the hospitality industry and like any other sector, giving away freebies cuts into profit, and with thousands upon thousands of charitable events occurring each year at different levels, expecting freebies in all cases seems a tad unreasonable.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies