• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Year of the French

Nem

Guy Beiner's book entitled 'Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory' is out in paperback later this month.

Besides being a history of the role of the French in the 1798 Rebellion it is also a unique exercise in the use of Oral History which originated from the 1930s. Beiner is an Israeli academic who holds a doctorate from UCD.

Joseph Emmet

Have not seen it here in the US, but why would there be a year of the French? It was their inability it land the first expedition, and thus set up the failure of the second landing .

Catalpa

Guy Beiner's book entitled 'Remembering the Year of the French: Irish Folk History and Social Memory' is out in paperback later this month.

Besides being a history of the role of the French in the 1798 Rebellion it is also a unique exercise in the use of Oral History which originated from the 1930s. Beiner is an Israeli academic who holds a doctorate from UCD.
Thanks for the Info Nem

But 1798 a Rebellion?

Surely it was a Rising?

Garibaldy

Have not seen it here in the US, but why would there be a year of the French? It was their inability it land the first expedition, and thus set up the failure of the second landing .
That's how it was remembered in local folklore, especially in Mayo and other places in the west where the French landing had a massive impact. This is what the book studies, the popular memory of 1798 in the west of Ireland in the nineteenth century.

The book is published by a US publisher, Wisconsin-Madison University Press I think.

Robert Emmet

An entirely new approach to Irish history

I recently read Beiner's book and, being a 1798 buff, I can honestly say that it's the best book on Irish history I've read for a very long time.
Even though I had read Richard Hayes's fine book and a couple of others on the topic, this book taught me a lot about the 1798 rebellion and the French invasion of Mayo which I hadn't known before hand.
But beyond that, this book really made me think critically about Irish history and the way it has been written. It's not only about using oral history and folklore but also about how memory works. Once I finished reading it, my whole concept of history has utterly changed.
I'd highly recommend reading it!

Reactions: Nem

William Orr

Read the book recently - it's absolutely brilliant!
I hear he's due to come out shortly with a new book on 1798 in Antrim and Down. Can hardly wait...