Yer Man Cillian Murphy on BBC Radio 6

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sitting in for Iggy Pop this evening. I heard Cillian Murphy on the Radio 6 'Paperback Writer' slot some weeks back and thought he picked some great music to listen to.

At it again tonight moving around from some Bjork to Tom Waits '16 shells from a 30.06' and then into David Axelrod with 'Mucho Chupar' interspersed with interesting things about crows.

Very entertaining on the radio and I'd say his original slot must have been popular as they have him sitting in for Iggy. It is good stuff and worth a listen on the playback Iplayer for those who can access.

Odd how people known for one thing, the old acting in Peaky Blinders and I'm sure some other things I haven't seen and how they can show a bit of a knack for something else as well. Does seem to have an eclectic taste in music. BBC 6 is worth a go and have some interesting presenters- Cerys Matthews on a Sunday late morning into lunchtime is always good.

Don't know why I'm surprised Murphy is playing some interesting stuff- perhaps my impression of actors as a bit shallow but Cillian seems to have a few sides to him.

Ex celt

Why do the Irish like this third rate luvvie? He clearly should wear specs. The contact lenses make his eyes pop out like a toad. Other than that there is always a part for him in The Riordans.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well he seems to be building a following on the radio- does play some interesting stuff which belies a knowledge of popular music. The anecdotes between songs are pretty good.

Probably should have put this in 'chat' I realise so happy enough if the mods want to shift it there...

petaljam

I really like Cillian Murphy, and not just in Peaky Blinders. :) I heard him on Last Row (BBC R4) recently, I thought he came across as somebody who wasnt just the "dumb looker" some actors - a male and female - are. Also I think he used to be a musician of some sort, not famous but I think they may have had a recording contract, so maybe his musical tastes come from that too.

ETA: Just seen your post about moving the thread. Whatever you think, but I guess media is probably ok.

Last edited:

Ex celt

i really like Cillian Murphy. I heard him on Last Row (BBC R4) recently, I thought he came across as somebody who wasnt just the "dumb looker" some actors - a male and female - are.
But he is.

cricket

Don't know him but know someone who does and says he's a well-grounded, intelligent guy.

Fritzbox

Some people reckon Cillian could be next actor to play James Bond!

petaljam

He certainly seemed not to take the whole stardom thing too seriously, actually he said coming from Ireland was an antidote to that.

He told an anecdote about some other Irish actor, I forget who, who had a very short bit in some very successful film, and next time he went into the pub in his tiny hometown, somebody said to him. "Oh I saw you in that..(whatever) film", and the guy, acting nicely modest, said, "Ah yeah, all 15 seconds of me."

"13", said the other lad, dismissively.

nationalsday

Sitting in for Iggy Pop this evening. I heard Cillian Murphy on the Radio 6 'Paperback Writer' slot some weeks back and thought he picked some great music to listen to.

At it again tonight moving around from some Bjork to Tom Waits '16 shells from a 30.06' and then into David Axelrod with 'Mucho Chupar' interspersed with interesting things about crows.

Very entertaining on the radio and I'd say his original slot must have been popular as they have him sitting in for Iggy. It is good stuff and worth a listen on the playback Iplayer for those who can access.

Odd how people known for one thing, the old acting in Peaky Blinders and I'm sure some other things I haven't seen and how they can show a bit of a knack for something else as well. Does seem to have an eclectic taste in music. BBC 6 is worth a go and have some interesting presenters- Cerys Matthews on a Sunday late morning into lunchtime is always good.

Don't know why I'm surprised Murphy is playing some interesting stuff- perhaps my impression of actors as a bit shallow but Cillian seems to have a few sides to him.
It sounds like a completely and utterly cucked playlist.

I loved Iggy when he was banging up smack with the Stooges and "Turn Blue" is one of the great songs of the past forty years imho - but Jaysus what's the f*ck's he doing now allowing that twinkle-toed little Cork simp to stand in for him?

Dearghoul

Iggy saved Christmas for 6 a couple of years ago, when running right thru' Christmas day and all of St. Stephens. The guys they had the previous year became incapable on the Christmas Eve, so they had to turn to someone who could handle his excess.

Great little station by the way, and I'll keep a watch out for our Cian.

Ex celt

Don't know him but know someone who does and says he's a well-grounded, intelligent guy.
I know someone who doesn’t know him and like me thinks that he is a D standard actor with serious ophthalmic issues.

D

Deleted member 45466

Strange looking chap. Seems to fancy himself as an effete Olly Reid.

Put in a good performance in Nolan's Dunkirk, mind.

Popular Threads

Most Replies