Yes it is happening.........the fight for polygamy starts now.

Clanrickard

At the time of the Same Sex Marriage Referedum I was scoffed at whe I suggested that were we to give marriage equality to homosexual couples other demands would follow like polygamy. Nonsense I was told. Well let us read this from today's IT

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/does-banning-polygamy-actually-harm-women-1.3121348?__vfz=c_pages=2342400008804

This involves facing the reality that the non-recognition of these unions entrenches the harms associated with polygamy. It also requires the acknowledgement that the cultural practices of the residents of this state are evolving. The law must correspond with these changes if we truly care about the potential vulnerability of these women.
This involves facing the reality that the non-recognition of these unions entrenches the harms associated with polygamy. It also requires the acknowledgement that the cultural practices of the residents of this state are evolving. The law must correspond with these changes if we truly care about the potential vulnerability of these women.
Now it may be one article but you can bet your bottom dollar that the usual suspects will before long be demanding the constitution change to accept polygamy. Personally I am against polygamy. From everything I have read it is damaging to the participants in the process.

First marriage of Lebanese man with two wives recognised under Irish law

The link is to the Supreme Court ruling yesterday which accepted only the first marriage of a Lebenese man living here was valid. The Court said.............

Recognition of an “actually” polygamous marriage would be contrary to a fundamental constitutional principle – of equality – and therefore contrary to public policy, it ruled. In finding the second marriage not valid under Irish law, it said the institution of polygamy is not contemplated by the Constitution and is contrary to principles of various international instruments. Giving legal recognition to such a structure would “give legal effect to discrimination and subordination in a relationship where the principle of equality should hold sway”.

willow68

Imagine the cost to the public purse if polygamy were ever to be legalised...I hope for some cop-on somewhere in our loony judiciary.

livingstone

At the time of the Same Sex Marriage Referedum I was scoffed at whe I suggested that were we to give marriage equality to homosexual couples other demands would follow like polygamy. Nonsense I was told. Well let us read this from today's IT

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/does-banning-polygamy-actually-harm-women-1.3121348?__vfz=c_pages=2342400008804

Now it may be one article but you can bet your bottom dollar that the usual suspects will before long be demanding the constitution change to accept polygamy. Personally I am against polygamy. From everything I have read it is damaging to the participants in the process.

The link is to the Supreme Court ruling yesterday which accepted only the first marriage of a Lebenese man living here was valid. The Court said.............
By far the most common response when anyone suggested that we couldn't vote for gay couples to be allowed to marry in case polygamous (or incestuous, or bestiality or whatever other derogatory comparison you choose to name) was not 'no one will ever make a case for it'.

The response was 'if someone makes a case for something we can have that debate on its own merits'.

If you think there are reasons not to support polygamous marriage you're free to advance them and the vote in 2015 doesn't change any of that.

Dame_Enda

Polygamy would be very bad for social harmony. The maternity hospitals could not cope with the legions of offspring.

Clanrickard

By far the most common response when anyone suggested that we couldn't vote for gay couples to be allowed to marry in case polygamous (or incestuous, or bestiality or whatever other derogatory comparison you choose to name) was not 'no one will ever make a case for it'.

The response was 'if someone makes a case for something we can have that debate on its own merits'.

If you think there are reasons not to support polygamous marriage you're free to advance them and the vote in 2015 doesn't change any of that.
I siad and I stand by it that once you change the definition of marriage it will opening Pandora's box. Doesn't mean it is wrong to do just an acknowledgement that it will happen.

Franzoni

Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander....

Might be a few ladies out there that fancy having two husbands..

"She will be home soon ....your turn to make the dinner tonight"

" Me bollo i'm heading out on the razz with the lads ..".....:D

Dame_Enda

That's called polyandry.

Man or Mouse

Julius Caesar found the practice to be common among the Britons, back in the day. Didn't develop the thought past noting it though.

Dame_Enda

So it's gamy when the man does it but andry when the women does it....

Anyways who said his name was Andry...?
Well polygamy is where there are multiple wives, and polyandry where it's multiple husband's. So technically a multiple spouse gay male marriage might be polyandry, while a multiple lesbian one could be polygamy. And a woman marrying multiple husbands would be practicing polyandry.

Clanrickard

Roll_On

I wonder would the Lebanese tax payer be willing to fund and Irish man's challenge to their courts to recognize his husband.

MjrMarv

At the time of the Same Sex Marriage Referedum I was scoffed at whe I suggested that were we to give marriage equality to homosexual couples other demands would follow like polygamy. Nonsense I was told.
It's still nonsense, because the man started his legal action for recognition of his first marriage back in 2010! How can an event in 2010 follow an event in 2015?

Name one country that has gone on to allow polygamous marriages after allowing same sex couples to marry.

I'll save you the trouble; there are none. In fact, countries that allow polygamous marriages tend to be hostile towards same sex couples in general, never mind the concept of letting them marry.

I siad and I stand by it that once you change the definition of marriage it will opening Pandora's box. Doesn't mean it is wrong to do just an acknowledgement that it will happen.
What Pandora's box did we open when we redefined marriage in 1995 from being a lifelong institute to one which can be ended at any stage by either party? In fact, you may as well blame this ruling on the Divorce Referendum because that predates the man's legal action and it moved our definition of marriage away from a strictly Christian version (for life).

Watcher2

But it is not the same. It does not fall within any of the legal definitions of discrimination. "Multiple partners" is not a sexual orientation no matter how you true to shoe horn it as such.

The case attempted to be made, quite badly IMHO, to draw parallels between SSM and polygamy etc was farcical. Still is.

Nothing actually to see here.

realistic1

One is Homphopic if they rejected or questions Gay marriage. What will the objectors to polygamy be labeled? Polyphobic??

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies