Yet another Irish Eagle killed = time to scrap projects??

Ecoguy

RTÉ News: White-tailed eagle found dead near Killarney

Sad but inevitable given the extent of the misuse of poisons in Irish farming - why is the government still releasing these birds if they can't be bothered to do anything about the activities of the scumbags behind this carnage??. Its rapidly becoming a serious animal welfare issue since its obvious these projects will surely fail given the sheer number of these endangered birds that are now being illegally killed every spring.:mad:

In the past month alone all 3 of the projects(White-Tailied Eagle, Golden Eagle, Red Kite) have lost birds through poisoning - the same thing happened last year and the year before. Sadly it has to said this kip of a country is not worthy of such magnificent creatures that were once some of the most spectacular elements of our Natural Heritage and a potential boon for are struggling tourism industry in the future since Eco tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors of this business in the world. Personally I think no more releases of these birds should take place and the ones already out there should be re-captured and sent back to Norway, Scotland and Wales to spare this country tattered environmental/tourism/farming/food image further damage:(

This will go down as yet another abject failure of the GP in government - and yet another betrayel of former supporters etc.:mad:

pinemartin

RTÉ News: White-tailed eagle found dead near Killarney

Sad but inevitable given the extent of the misuse of poisons in Irish farming - why is the government still releasing these birds if they can't be bothered to do anything about the activities of the scumbags behind this carnage??. Its rapidly becoming a serious animal welfare issue since its obvious these projects will surely fail given the sheer number of these endangered birds that are now being illegally killed every spring.:mad:

In the past month alone all 3 of the projects(White-Tailied Eagle, Golden Eagle, Red Kite) have lost birds through poisoning - the same thing happened last year and the year before. Sadly it has to said this kip of a country is not worthy of such magnificent creatures that were once some of the most spectacular elements of our Natural Heritage and a potential boon for are struggling tourism industry in the future since Eco tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors of this business in the world. Personally I think no more releases of these birds should take place and the ones already out there should be re-captured and sent back to Norway, Scotland and Wales to spare this country tattered environmental/tourism/farming/food image further damage:(

This will go down as yet another abject failure of the GP in government - and yet another betrayel of former supporters etc.:mad:[/QUOT

more sad news about these eagle and kite projects however the rte report does not say the eagle was poisoned. There are many other ways that these birds can die. We should wait for the full post mortem results . We do need to tighten up on our protection of wildlife and people need to be prosecuted for killing these fine birds.

borntorum

Why are the Greens obsessing about relatively harmless stag hunting when the killing of eagles is allowed to continue unabated?

Ecoguy

Why are the Greens obsessing about relatively harmless stag hunting when the killing of eagles is allowed to continue unabated?
Exactly - they've proved to be a total waste of space and a downright embarresment to other Green Parties across Europe:mad:

wombat

We do need to tighten up on our protection of wildlife and people need to be prosecuted for killing these fine birds.
You need to catch them before you can prosecute them. I'm afraid we have a long way to go to win people over to conservation, as soon as the Bass stock starts to recover, they want to commercially exploit them, Mind you, their recovery seems to be related to banning drift net fishing, so maybe its not hopeless.

Akrasia

What about an incentive scheme to allay the fears of the farmers and reduce their willingness to kill the eagles.

Educate them about the likelyhood of the eagles taking any of their lambs, but also put in place an overly generous compensation scheme for any livestock killed by the eagles.

(eg 10 times the value of the lamb)

wombat

What about an incentive scheme to allay the fears of the farmers and reduce their willingness to kill the eagles.
I think most farmers don't fear eagles. What I was told by a sheep farmer is that it is poison being put out for foxes that is killing the birds.

flavirostris

There seems to be far more White-Tailed Eagles being lost to poisoning than Golden Eagles so the problem is much worse in Kerry than in Donegal. At some point though the donor countries like Norway will cut the supply off. Why send perfectly good Eaglets to Ireland to be poisoned?

Ecoguy

Educate them about the likelyhood of the eagles taking any of their lambs, but also put in place an overly generous compensation scheme for any livestock killed by the eagles.

(eg 10 times the value of the lamb)
In all 3 project areas the farming community have been made well aware that these birds do not represent a threat to lambs since they are primarily scavangers, even the IFA have backed the projects - indeed in parts of Donegal farmers have welcomed the eagles since they are big predators of crows and foxes

The problem here is the stupid laws on the use of meat baits in this country that are out of kilter with the rest of the EU. Most farmers now use less indiscriminate methods of vermin control such as shooting, electric fencing,proper housing etc. The problem lies with the small number who continues to use poison carcasses, which is in itself illegal under the Fallen Animals Act brought in after the BSE crises.

Ecoguy

There seems to be far more White-Tailed Eagles being lost to poisoning than Golden Eagles so the problem is much worse in Kerry than in Donegal. At some point though the donor countries like Norway will cut the supply off. Why send perfectly good Eaglets to Ireland to be poisoned?
Thats reported cases Flav - more than half of the 55 Golden Eagles released in Donegal have disappeared, with poisoning looking increasingly like the likely culprit given the evidence of the past few springs:(

flavirostris

Thats reported cases Flav - more than half of the 55 Golden Eagles released in Donegal have disappeared, with poisoning looking increasingly like the likely culprit given the evidence of the past few springs:(
Sad to say it but the programme should be suspended until the poison bait problem has been eradicated. It's not fair on the birds or on the donor countries. It's a pity a minority of gobsh*tes are ruining it for everbody.
The Red Kites seem to be doing ok though? I've seen some in Wicklow

scratchnsniff

I had a sparrow hawk take some chicks, I didn't immediately reach for the poison. Also i don't lose birds to foxes as i take sensible precautions. Last year i was fascinated to watch a sparrow hawk take a swallow on the wing in my back garden, nature at its saddest and most beautiful. We need to ban these poisons and jail anyone who purposefully kills one of these birds. Or better still take 10 acres off them and give it to a heritage body for every dead bird. That is an incentive they could understand.

T

The_Big_Fellow

Its poisoning of foxes that is doing the damage. Ironically the control of the fox population (which are rampant in Ireland) is often done to protect birds such as Pheasants etc, from being ravaged by same foxes.

The solution would be to ban these types of poison, as many other countries have done, as they are not needed.

Cailleach

Could Gormless and 'Lyin' Ryan be poisoned instead I wonder - certainly preferable to magnificant birds of prey.

flavirostris

They must be using poisons other than Strycnine because this was banned in the '90s AFAIK. The banning of strycnine allowed the Common Buzzard to re-colonise many counties in the Republic ( previously it had only bred in the 6 counties and parts of Donegal ). Common Buzzard now breeds in most counties in Leinster and some in Munster so it dosen't seem to be falling victim to the same poison bait problem.. I wonder does the Buzzard eat as much carrion as W-T Eagle or Golden Eagle?

Ecoguy

The Red Kites seem to be doing ok though? I've seen some in Wicklow
True - but the loss of at least 2 last month was a big blow.

I strongly agree with the rest of you post though. It appears that the illegal use of poison carcasses is most prevalent in upland, sheep farming areas - particulary in the West - which unfortunatly corresponds with prime eagle habitats and is the main reason the species become extinct in the first place. I think the people involved in the eagle projects thought that the worse days were over after the banning of strycnine in the late 80's. Unfortuntly a small number of gombeens in the NW and Kerry are using other types of poisons such as alphacholrose, carbofurun and even paraquat in the case of a golden eagle last year in Donegal. Until the law in this area is tightened up and the farmers convicted lose their subsidies from the Irish and EU taxpayers as is the case in Scotland, this problem will persist.:(

Ecoguy

Common Buzzard now breeds in most counties in Leinster and some in Munster so it dosen't seem to be falling victim to the same poison bait problem.. I wonder does the Buzzard eat as much carrion as W-T Eagle or Golden Eagle?
Buzzards are being poisoned too - but they occupy different habitats to eagles which makes them less vulnerable, plus they breed quicker then these larger birds of prey.

PS: Like the Eagles, buzzards are also the farmers friend since they take huge numbers of rats as well as rabbits and other pests!!

flavirostris

Buzzards are being poisoned too - but they occupy different habitats to eagles which makes them less vulnerable, plus they breed quicker then these larger birds of prey.

PS: Like the Eagles, buzzards are also the farmers friend since they take huge numbers of rats as well as rabbits and other pests!!
I love Common Buzzards. It was so great to see them re-colonising parts of Ireland that they hadn't bred in for over a century because of poisoning and crazy gamekeeping. Maybe they are also less vulnerable to poisoning because so much of their diet is rabbits and corvids. But it's a scandal that they are still being poisoned.
Do you remember all the kerfuffle with Hen Harriers a few years ago? Parts of Kerry and NW Cork were being earmarked as Hen Harrier SPAs and some farmers went nuts. Somebody even sent the body of a freshly shot Hen Harrier into the offices of the Kerryman

Half Nelson

Its poisoning of foxes that is doing the damage. Ironically the control of the fox population (which are rampant in Ireland) is often done to protect birds such as Pheasants etc, from being ravaged by same foxes.

The solution would be to ban these types of poison, as many other countries have done, as they are not needed.
+1
I recently heard a farmer boast of how he had injected a dead hen with weedkiller and placed it where a vixen would take it back to her cubs.

Ban poisoning and introduce severe penalties for poisoners - it ain't rocket science.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies