Yoga : ok or devil worship ?

former wesleyan

Hindu leader praises Kildare parish for hosting yoga

In a statement, confirmed by The Irish Times, he recalled how Kilcullen was about 168 miles from the parish of Drumsurn, Co Derry, where in February 2015 Fr Roland Colhoun “reportedly linked yoga to Satan”.

“Other media d also then quoted the priest as saying that that ‘yoga leads to Satan’ and that he feared it could lead to ‘the Kingdom of Darkness’,” and that there was ‘a slippery slope from yoga to Satan,’ he said.
A parish of the Dublin archdiocese, its decision to host the classes at its community centre was described as a “step forward in the positive direction” by Rajan Zed, president of the Nevada-based Universal Society of Hinduism. He also urged all Catholic schools in Ireland to introduce yoga programmes.
So relax.

Apparently evangelicals are equally suspicious, but I couldn't find out if the DUP have taken a position on it.

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
It seems willfully vague at best though. What specific aspects of it are meant to be morally or ethically or spiritually problematic exactly? Merely saying "it leads to satan" or "a slippery slope to satan" leaves out any specifics on how or why this is the case.

What does yoga actually entail in their mind, and which aspect of the answer is specifically the problem?

And that is before, of course, the complete lack of evidence being offered that there even IS a Satan in the first place. When you start believing in magical creatures hiding in the shadows, all bets are off as to what other nonsense you are going to start espousing.

between the bridges

The Duppers aren't bothered, as long as it's not curried...

GDPR

Yoga is of course not "Devil Worship" and I don't think it does any Spiritual harm in most cases however it was developed within Hinduism in a religious context and Hinduism which involves often very horrific practices is essentially devil worship. Yoga for some people who are open than others can for sure lead into the Kingdom of Darkness. The fact that this is being organized by an actual Hindu however I think puts the Priest he the right though he should have expressed himself better.

Analyzer

How about "overrated" ?

Is that an option ?

ne0ica

I practiced Yoga in the past. Most people treat it as heath/fitness/exercise. However in the States I came across some people who treat it more as spiritual pursuit.

cabledude

My fitness instructor is also a yoga instructor. She has shown me some yoga positions for warm down after my training. She is very bendy.

Yep, it is the work of Satan. :evil:

Cynicist

'Harry Potter and yoga are evil', says Catholic Church exorcist

For most people it is a way of toning the limbs and soothing the stresses of everyday life, but the Catholic Church’s best-known exorcist says yoga is evil.

Father Gabriele Amorth, who for years was the Vatican’s chief exorcist and claims to have cleansed hundreds of people of evil spirits, said yoga is Satanic because it leads to a worship of Hinduism and “all eastern religions are based on a false belief in reincarnation”.
Reading JK Rowling’s Harry Potter books is no less dangerous, said the 86-year-old priest, who is the honorary president for life of the International Association of Exorcists, which he founded in 1990, and whose favourite film is the 1973 horror classic, The Exorcist.
The Harry Potter books, which have sold millions of copies worldwide, “seem innocuous” but in fact encourage children to believe in black magic and wizardry, Father Amorth said.

“Practising yoga is Satanic, it leads to evil just like reading Harry Potter,” he told a film festival in Umbria this week, where he was invited to introduce The Rite, a film about exorcism starring Sir Anthony Hopkins as a Jesuit priest.

'Harry Potter and yoga are evil', says Catholic Church exorcist - Telegraph

Jezus how can we sleep nights with so many evil yogusts and potter fans around.

dizillusioned

Oh just open your Chakra to the morning sun, all the time, making sure your Dog is downward facing.

nozzferrahhtoo

Website
www.catholic.ie
When you start believing in magical creatures hiding in the shadows, all bets are off as to what other nonsense you are going to start espousing.
Yoga for some people who are open than others can for sure lead into the Kingdom of Darkness.
See what I mean? Kingdom of darkness? What is this, middle earth in Tolkiens Lord of The Rings? The great Lord Sauron looking to take over us all? These people who see mythical magic creatures in the dark think all number of things "lead to Satan". From Rock Music to childrens fiction to simple exercises, these people see demons and sources of paranoia in every corner. I can only imagine what it is like to live like that. See glowing demon red eyes in every shadow, and every innocent human activity.

Kingdom of Darkness my ass.

Boy M5

It's neither.

Do the exercise & enjoy the lithe female company.

However, don't swallow the Swami nonsense - John Lennon did & soon recanted.

Dearghoul

Yoga is of course not "Devil Worship" and I don't think it does any Spiritual harm in most cases however it was developed within Hinduism in a religious context and Hinduism which involves often very horrific practices is essentially devil worship. Yoga for some people who are open than others can for sure lead into the Kingdom of Darkness. The fact that this is being organized by an actual Hindu however I think puts the Priest he the right though he should have expressed himself better.
Typed in haste it would seem, but yes I was fascinated to see what your response would be.

Now we have something verifiable called Yoga, and something unverifiable called 'The Kingdom of Darkness'.

Is your complaint that something which can be proven leads off to something else which can't, or have I missed the point?

statsman

It seems willfully vague at best though. What specific aspects of it are meant to be morally or ethically or spiritually problematic exactly? Merely saying "it leads to satan" or "a slippery slope to satan" leaves out any specifics on how or why this is the case.

What does yoga actually entail in their mind, and which aspect of the answer is specifically the problem?

And that is before, of course, the complete lack of evidence being offered that there even IS a Satan in the first place. When you start believing in magical creatures hiding in the shadows, all bets are off as to what other nonsense you are going to start espousing.
It's just not catlick.

Bea C

I've a brother who'd be lecturing you bullsh1t about it.
I asked did he ever pause to think that I might find doing my hair a release?
The patronising pr1ck started laughing.
Believe me, the f**king riposte was some struggle to repress...

RepublicOfLuas

I think he's just afraid of alien practice. Can't be playing dem forrdin sports haigh!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies