Yoof claiming Depression to get Disability Allowance and Free Travel

ruserious

Is this a thing in Ireland?

Acendotally, I see many young people getting on the bus in Dublin using the free travel pass, presumably for being "disabled". The same "disabled" young people are usually sporting a box of fags in their handbags of back pockets and often look like they're going on a night out.

A friend of mine with knowledge of disability claimants in Social Welfare told me there are many many young people in Ireland getting disability allowance for Depression and Anxiety.

I have absolutely no problem with people getting a free travel pass if they are disabled including mental health problems such as those outlined above. It is important not to impede their access to society during a vulnerable time in their lives.

But...this thread wishes to explore if there are young people that are using the depression line in order to get these benefits. I wonder if the recently established rules relating to job seekers allowance has seen a shift from the dole to disability among the 20 somethings.

It is important to ensure a fair access to travel passes. That goes two ways. Fair for those genuinely disabled and fair for taxpayers that leaches don't end up abusing the system.

Fr Peter McWhinger

Acendotally, I see many young people getting on the bus in Dublin using the free travel pass, presumably for being "disabled". The same "disabled" young people are usually sporting a box of fags in their handbags of back pockets and often look like they're going on a night out.

A friend of mine with knowledge of disability claimants in Social Welfare told me there are many many young people in Ireland getting disability allowance for Depression and Anxiety.

I have absolutely no problem with people getting a free travel pass if they are disabled including mental health problems such as those outlined above. It is important not to impede their access to society during a vulnerable time in their lives.

But...this thread wishes to explore if there are young people that are using the depression line in order to get these benefits. I wonder if the recently established rules relating to job seekers allowance has seen a shift from the dole to disability among the 20 somethings.

It is important to ensure a fair access to travel passes. That goes two ways. Fair for those genuinely disabled and fair for taxpayers that leaches don't end up abusing the system.
Do they get paid more on disability than on dole?
Are they eligible for public housing?

Ruff says Flaherty

Of course this is happening. Squeezing every penny out of social welfare is a full-time job for some people. It requires years of studying followed by an apprenticeship with ones family, before getting really highly skilled at it. The 10,000 hours rule applies.

Outside of Irish citizens, Africans(who will probably become citizens too) have shown an exceptional ability to integrate by claiming all they can too. Now they are struggling to integrate in many ways, but not this one. I have come across African job seekers with "degrees" who struggle to use a computer, but by God they become highly efficient when it comes to getting on the gravy train.

Johnny tax payer continuing to pick up the tab.

Bea C

It's long-running.
I'm a regular on the Tralee-Cork bus, and considerable numbers of traveller young men are back-and-forth between Tralee and Killarney: none of them hand over a penny for the trip, they pull their passes out of their ar$e pockets.

Fr Peter McWhinger

It's long-running.
I'm a regular on the Tralee-Cork bus, and considerable numbers of traveller young men would be back-and-forth between Tralee and Killarney: none of them hand over a penny for the trip, they pull their passes out of their ar$e pockets.
I suppose they will need armies of Social Workers too?

Dame_Enda

A lot of people on disability allowance have disabilities which are not visible but do exist such as Asperger Syndrome as in my case.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

OP is a public servant. And people wonder why some people are very worried about all the personal data that the department of social protection will have access to, after mining data for the Public Services Card.

ruserious

A lot of people on disability allowance have disabilities which are not visible but do exist such as Superhero Syndrome as in my case.
Well the crowd that usually frequent my Dublin Bus certainly don't resemble The Avengers.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
OP is a public servant. And people wonder why some people are very worried about all the personal data that the department of social protection will have access to, after mining data for the Public Services Card.
All the more reason the data privacy law is enforced properly.

The OP is, at best, not very well expressed.

ruserious

All the more reason the data privacy law is enforced properly.

The OP is, at best, not very well expressed.
Cheers for that, Toland.

Can't start a discussion around these parts without being subject to personal insults.

Sister Mercedes

A lot of people on disability allowance have disabilities which are not visible but do exist such as Asperger Syndrome as in my case.
Aspergers is a disability but one can work with it, in the right job. I think with disability allowance we write people off, instead of helping them to find jobs that are appropriate for their disability. Many disabled people have developed coping skills which would be very useful in the workplace.

MsDaisyC

Well that is what the thread is trying to establish. My guess is that it's rampant.
Put in a FOI request and get some actual figures. Your "guess" ranks right up there with girls getting pregnant to get houses, foreigners coming over on Ryanair to sign on & claiming for 10 kids and moving statues being a real thing.

Schmetterling

Absolutely right - and from my experience (a relative has high functioning autism), it's not an easy thing to get disability allowance. Lots of paperwork required, and that's obviously after the diagnosis which can take years to get. I don't doubt there are some scammers but please don't look at everyone and automatically assume they are taking the piss just because they look young and healthy. There are many, many invisible disabilities out there.

Sister Mercedes

The free travel 'companion' card is another one. I have an acquaintance who travels up and down the country by bus and train and never has to pay, because she drags her aged mammy along with her. Even though mammy is more nimble than I am, she has a travel pass that entitles her to travel with a companion both free of charge.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Cheers for that, Toland.

Can't start a discussion around these parts without being subject to personal insults.

How on earth was my point a personal insult? You are a public servant and your mate who is a ps in Social Protection, was giving you information about people he encounters in his job.

Care to address the point?

ShoutingIsLeadership

New Threads

Most Replies