• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

You are Judge Judy - what would you decide?

Citizen

Here's a test for you.

You are a judge in a country whose soldiers are fighting overseas. One of your soldiers is missing, probably killed by the enemy. His buddy who was patrolling with him is found dead.

Back home his wife waits. She is 23. They have no children.

Now this is your dilemma:

She is an illegal. She entered your country undocumented. Her husband's high profile missing in action status has brought her into the public eye. The law says she must be deported. What do you do?

Here's a link to some background material that might help:

www.thebostonchannel.com/video/13540391 ... ml?taf=bos

morryah

give the illegal a break.

Victor Meldrew

Let her stay and give her a green card, her husband fought for his country (irresective of your opinion on Iraq, this is the case), is presumed dead. She is probably widowed, she deserves dignity, compassion and full support from the US state.

corelli

Well presumably the immigration judge will have to inforce the rules as they are but I would hope that the government would step in and give her permission to remain on humanatarian grounds. It would be a travesty should she be deported.

DaraghM

Firm believer that if one volunteers to fight and defend a country as part of its armed forces they should of course be granted citizenship as should their families as a matter of course. This is just another chapter in the US's double-standards when it comes to immigration from south of the border - you can mow our lawns and fight our wars, but don't you DARE try to become a citizen.

The OD

Send her to Iraq?

Odyessus

If you were a judge, you would know the law ( not someone's opinion of what the law says ), and hear all the arguments from both side before making a decision.

MichaelR

Is it within the power of a *judge* to grant her leave to remain?

In Ireland, this seems to be in the power of the Minister of Justice. But I don't know how things work in the USA. The President can obviously pardon her for illegal entry, but can he issue her a green card?

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
The Military have actually contacted her legal team and offered to help her in any way they can. Should end up making a lot of money for the lawyers.

TheJudge

The law can be interpreted different ways to favour what the judiciary feel is 'just'. If it gets to the courts, which I doubt it will this woman will be allowed to remain in the US.

Helium Three

TheJudge said:
The law can be interpreted different ways to favour what the judiciary feel is 'just'. If it gets to the courts, which I doubt it will this woman will be allowed to remain in the US.
Is the judge up for re-election? What sort of electorate does he/she face?

is judge judy an actual judge?

The Collective.

If shes here illegally, kick her out. Dont like it? Change the law.

caulfield-the-yank

Rich OC said:
The Military have actually contacted her legal team and offered to help her in any way they can. Should end up making a lot of money for the lawyers.
On the other hand, is thetre a down side to this story? :D :lol:

caulfield-the-yank

PaintingMedium said:
is judge judy an actual judge?
She was a Family Court Judge for many years in Kings County (Brooklyn), and a highly respected one, at that.

Her television show is one of only three television shows that my wife (born and raised in Mayo) ever watches. I cannot claim to be so pure; I sometimes also watch C-Span.

I would enforce the law. Anything else is a political decision, which is a matter for the relevant minister (who in our case has reversed deportations for much less worthy reasons).

Jozer

A spouse should have the rights of residence of their partner, and if he was serving in the armmed forces, he should have had right of residence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies