You Are Now Entering Troll Country

bactrian

I joined Politics.ie about 15 years ago. In 2014 you could express a controversial opinion and get measured responses, you would get some trolls but, probably 95% were rational/disputational and 5% trolls. You could have a discussion , exchange views , and even if you did not persuade others you got to explain your reasoning and to have other reasoning and viewpoints told to you.

Examine any random thread now and within 5 posts from the start some troll, or angry inadequate will be ranting.

Do not expect rational discussion> YOU ARE WRONG. YOU ARE STUPID. YOU ARE IGNORANT.

Do not expect to be allowed to be allowed to explain Why? you hold a view.

At least two (probably more) of the "Monitors" are trolls l!

bactrian

What do you propose should be done about it?
First I have to acknowledge that I have not always been temperate in some of my posts. There are instance where I should have been censured.

Moderators are supposed to "moderate" , caution those of us who are straying out of line and stopping us when we start to troll. Moderators are supposed to be referees, non-partisan judges of our contributions.

The level of trolling and abuse that currently occurs on P.ie is such that I would institute a policy(quite harsh) of suspending offenders. Possibly :
First Offence , a Warning. :
Second Offence , One weeks ban.
Third Offence : One Month Ban.
Fourth Offence : Lifetime.

And I would definitely get rid of the Trolling "Monitors"

P.ie used to be quoted as a source of political commentary/discussion, that day is past. It would be great if we could be respected again.

Golah veNekhar

First I have to acknowledge that I have not always been temperate in some of my posts. There are instance where I should have been censured.

Moderators are supposed to "moderate" , caution those of us who are straying out of line and stopping us when we start to troll. Moderators are supposed to be referees, non-partisan judges of our contributions.

The level of trolling and abuse that currently occurs on P.ie is such that I would institute a policy(quite harsh) of suspending offenders. Possibly :
First Offence , a Warning. :
Second Offence , One weeks ban.
Third Offence : One Month Ban.
Fourth Offence : Lifetime.

And I would definitely get rid of the Trolling "Monitors"

P.ie used to be quoted as a source of political commentary/discussion, that day is past. It would be great if we could be respected again.
It used to be FAR worse however the vast majority of trolls have decamped to Irish Politics Online.

I suspect that you are complaining for the sake of complaining.

redneck

There are trolls on this site. We all know who they are. There is one infamous one from county Kerry. One who racially abused Meghan Markle among other things. And yet still he post's on here.

owedtojoy

I joined Politics.ie about 15 years ago. In 2014 you could express a controversial opinion and get measured responses, you would get some trolls but, probably 95% were rational/disputational and 5% trolls. You could have a discussion , exchange views , and even if you did not persuade others you got to explain your reasoning and to have other reasoning and viewpoints told to you.

Examine any random thread now and within 5 posts from the start some troll, or angry inadequate will be ranting.

Do not expect rational discussion> YOU ARE WRONG. YOU ARE STUPID. YOU ARE IGNORANT.

Do not expect to be allowed to be allowed to explain Why? you hold a view.

At least two (probably more) of the "Monitors" are trolls l!
Report offensive posts.

But trolling has indeed grown, especially from right-wing racists and misogynists. There is also the Fake News phenomenon - which Steve Bannon (founder of Breitbart News, one of its prime media) described as "Flooding the zone with sh!t".

If there are no facts to be trusted (only sh!t conspiracy theories and partisan mythology), and instead of dialogue there is bullying and abuse, your followers are rendered more malleable and more submissive, and your enemies more hated and hunted. Imagine that Orwellian scenario of cheering "We were always at war with Eastasia!" without skipping a heartbeat, when Eurasia was yesterday's enemy.

That is not just a p.ie phenomenon, it is visible right across social media.

bactrian

I opened this thread with a prediction of being trolled within 5 posts. We have reached number 6 and so far "NO TROLL". I am really pleased to have been proven wrong.

It used to be FAR worse however the vast majority of trolls have decamped to Irish Politics Online.

Golah veNekhar I'm going to quibble with you.

1. Whataboutery is a tacit admission of fault: We are bad ,but , they are worse. Irish Politics Online may be worse than P.ie but P.ie still has a problem.

2.We have moderators who do not stop trolls (I'm not looking for perfect I'm just looking for good).

3.We have Moderators who are trolls.

It is almost impossible to have an exchange of ideas/opinions on P.ie.

Last edited:

olli rehn

I disagree.
Many trolls moved on and ended up in "politicalirish". A site run by racist trolls for racist trolls.
You should know all about it.

bactrian

I disagree.
Many trolls moved on and ended up in "politicalirish". A site run by racist trolls for racist trolls.
It took until post No.8 until we got a trollish response.

You should know all about it.: I have no idea about the poster this comment is addressed to,but, I can recognise aggression and anger.

benroe

It took until post No.8 until we got a trollish response.

You should know all about it.: I have no idea about the poster this comment is addressed to,but, I can recognise aggression and anger.
Were you just waiting for particular posters to post so you could call them trolls?

Buchaill Dana

I don't think its actually that hard totidy this place up. Huckle obvious racists and a few more thread bans and we are nearly there.

Contemporary example. Shiel is repeatedly posting the same thing on the RIC/tans thread. He made his point, then repeated it 15 plus times. Its spamming and a yellow card for the thread will odds on deal with it.

owedtojoy

I opened this thread with a prediction of being trolled within 5 posts. We have reached number 6 and so far "NO TROLL". I am really pleased to have been proven wrong.

Golah veNekhar I'm going to quibble with you.

1. Whataboutery is a tacit admission of fault: We are bad ,but , they are worse. Irish Politics Online may be worse than P.ie but P.ie still has a problem.

2.We have moderators who do not stop trolls (I'm not looking for perfect I'm just looking for good).

3.We have Moderators who are trolls.

It is almost impossible to have an exchange of ideas/opinions on P.ie.
I would ague it is a general problem across all blogs and social media. Some may be better moderated, but maybe the moderators have more time.

Have you found an "elsewhere" that is better?

Baron von Biffo

I don't think its actually that hard totidy this place up. Huckle obvious racists and a few more thread bans and we are nearly there.

Contemporary example. Shiel is repeatedly posting the same thing on the RIC/tans thread. He made his point, then repeated it 15 plus times. Its spamming and a yellow card for the thread will odds on deal with it.
Always in like a shot to censor people and silence views you don't want to hear.

The guy clearly has some sort of mental health problems but he's harmless. If you don't like reading his posts then stick him on Ignore.

owedtojoy

Report it. The mods cannot be everywhere.

Dearghoul

They don't have to be.

Shiel is everywhere, with the post.

That said I take a more benign view of it now than I did at first.

I found myself saying to someone recently that the EU was the most advanced project in international relations....while I was wondering where that was coming from.

If he/she was a rock band they'd be roaring for the new stuff.

Buchaill Dana

I did. But the repeated post is 10% of the entire thread. He had a valid point, even if most disagreed with it. But cut and paste again and again and again is a simple thing to stop. No way the mods missed it.

Half Nelson

I disagree.
Politicalirish is a right wing site run by diehard communists. 🤔 Try criticising the commies and they'll delete your posts.
You couldn't make it up.

Dearghoul

A right wing site run by commies.

Sounds intriguing.

Must give it a go.

When you say you couldn't make it up, are you entirely sure you haven't done just that?

Dearghoul

If you don't see trolling Golah, it's perhaps because you are of that number.

ruserious

I’ve 9 years now under my P.ie belt.

I feel the site has never been so bad. Trolls such as TalkBack should be banished for their gross levels of abuse and stalking of other posters.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies