• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

You Don't Need Journalism College to be a Journalist.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org

Cael

Mostly you just need a slavish willingness to promote the interests of the media company's owners.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org

Cael

Bebsaboo

Mostly you just need a slavish willingness to promote the interests of the media company's owners.
It's an odd day when I agree with you Cael.

Cael

idle tim

The phrase "paper never refused ink" was never more apt as it is in these challenging times.Sure even the bould Berties a hack,says it all really.AHAHA.

AINT NOTHIN BUT A NEWSHOUND LYIN ALL THE TIME,AINT NOTHIN BUT A NEWSHOUND LYIN ALL THE TIME,AINT NEVER HAD A CHECKBOOK AND YOU AINT NO FRIEND OF MINE.;)

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
That is absolute bullsh#t and I'm speaking from experience
Be careful, some readers here remember reading The Sunday Times, and The Sun as a broadsheet, before Murdoch arrived on the scene.
Back in 1966 The Sun was quite a good newspaper with fair and balanced coverage of the Viet-Nam war.

Some of us are very discerning readers and easily recognise slant.

Nice one, idle tim. :)

agoodud

Be careful, some readers here remember reading The Sunday Times, and The Sun as a broadsheet, before Murdoch arrived on the scene.
Back in 1966 The Sun was quite a good newspaper with fair and balanced coverage of the Viet-Nam war.

Some of us are very discerning readers and easily recognise slant.

Nice one, idle tim. :)
If people actually believe that individual reporters are "slavishly" bowing to the whims of owners, then they are simply deluding themselves. Having had the experience, it simply does not happen. You give newsrooms waaaay too much credit if you believe they are that well co-ordinated

sandar

lots of journalists havent been to journalism college, including some good ones.

Charlie Bird
George Lee
Paul Howard

never went to journalism college
as far as I know two of those three didnt attend University

sandar

What journalism college did Alison O'Riordan go to?

P.
dunno.
she traioned with Thomas Crosbie Holdings on their graduate scheme though.
Bringing her into another thread is interesting, you must fancy her or something

papaquebec

I trained as a journalist (reporter) in the late 70's/early 80's - this was in the UK. Trainees then served a recognised NCTJ apprenticeship and had to have a working knowledge of ALL aspects of newspaper production.

Nowadays it seems that a few months of meeja studies and a working knowledge of reality-TV will suffice!