• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Young inmates to be incarcerated in the UK

Karloff

Analyzer

And still the parish-pump TD who is the current MoJ tells us there are enough prison spaces.....

Civic_critic2

Had anyone heard about this? Was there a news blackout of a major riot and several major fires at a youth detention facility? How come no-one heard about this, or did they?

Edward Abbey

Not a lot to go on in that story but the practise isn't unheard of, I know that the Dutch have, in the past at least, 'rented out' prison spaces to the Belgian authorities.

Telstar 62

The media luvvies, whose hearts bleed for the 'young people'
will be onto this shortly....

Analyzer

For some of the criminals, it will be an opportunity to visit other criminals who are at the end of the route that involves Ireland as a highway for moving drugs into Britain.

In other words it might bring even more "business" to Ireland's flourishing drugs gangs.

And that is another subject that the Irish media will not discuss.

GDPR

Young offenders 'will be sent to UK' as detention centres fill up - Independent.ie

How is this possible? It's a different country with a different jurisdiction.

Does this mean the govt could in theory send people to penal colonies in other countries like the UK did in the 19thC?

Bizarre situation. A legal legacy loophole issue?
This régime is sending our young mothers and babies to English abortion factories, so I'm not surprised to see them sending our youth to English prisons. The gombeen free state régime only exists to keep Irish as a source of profit for the English ruling class.

damus

Childrens first - or in this case, the very last item on the list in relation to TUSLA and their obligation towards child welfare and protection. Funnily enough, the journo's didn't ask Zappone about this when she was spouting on about how unfair it was for the inmates to have been locked up for a prolonged period of time during industrial action in Oberstown. She was pretty silent on the assaults against the social care workers in this detention centre too.

jman0war

It is an excellent idea and should be expanded on.
It would cost less to outsource the housing of our prisoners in say, Latvia than it costs to house them here.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
It is an excellent idea and should be expanded on.
It would cost less to outsource the housing of our prisoners in say, Latvia than it costs to house them here.
Probably cheaper still to send them to Somalia.

Karloff

To FG the UK is practically the mother country anyway, maybe they see it like that.

Inmates should have right to be incarcerated as reasonably close to family as possible, especially young people and children. Besides it's a different country, they have not committed a crime in the UK so the UK has no right to detain them, it's kidnapping.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If this comes to pass, then we truly will have marked Ireland out as a country unfit to govern itself.

That this even gets suggested, is beyond unbelievable.

GabhaDubh

jman0war

It's a good idea, we outsource jobs, we outsource rubbish and recycling, when we are tired of our worn out clothes we dump them onto the 3rd world, so why not outsource our prison population?
Why shouldn't other EU states compete to house prisoners of other EU jurisdictions?
So long as they are EU members, ECHR, ECJ so what is the problem?

Stand up a prison near one of RyanAir's airports and cha-ching.
Boon for the area, boon for RyanAir, boon for our taxpayers, it's win win.

Karloff

It's a good idea, we outsource jobs, we outsource rubbish and recycling, when we are tired of our worn out clothes we dump them onto the 3rd world, so why not outsource our prison population?
Why shouldn't other EU states compete to house prisoners of other EU jurisdictions?
So long as they are EU members, ECHR, ECJ so what is the problem?

Stand up a prison near one of RyanAir's airports and cha-ching.
Boon for the area, boon for RyanAir, boon for our taxpayers, it's win win.
One of those free market pseudo-religious nutters are you? I am a citizen of Ireland, it gives me certain rights - it's what separates us from Saudi Arabia or the Congo that we have those rights - that means more to me than your GDP figures or your tax arguments. You can shove those, even the US (though it has installed a slavery system for inmates) doesn't send their prisoners to Mexico or argue for same.

jman0war

One of those free market pseudo-religious nutters are you? I am a citizen of Ireland, it gives me certain rights - it's what separates us from Saudi Arabia or the Congo that we have those rights - that means more to me than your GDP figures or your tax arguments. You can shove those, even the US (though it has installed a slavery system for inmates) doesn't send their prisoners to Mexico or argue for same.
Oh won't someone think of the prisoners!

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
This régime is sending our young mothers and babies to English abortion factories, so I'm not surprised to see them sending our youth to English prisons. The gombeen free state régime only exists to keep Irish as a source of profit for the English ruling class.

Well no - young "mothers' choose to go to England to have abortions. I don't beleive that the ROI government has them rounded up and sent off.

As for "our youth" surely it's only the criminal element that will be sent to English prisons. Not all Irish youth. It's just outsourcing.

GDPR

If this comes to pass, then we truly will have marked Ireland out as a country unfit to govern itself.

That this even gets suggested, is beyond unbelievable.
Well, we have a foreign Gaystapo agent as minister for children, so that shows how important children are here.

GDPR

Well no - young "mothers' choose to go to England to have abortions. I don't beleive that the ROI government has them rounded up and sent off.

As for "our youth" surely it's only the criminal element that will be sent to English prisons. Not all Irish youth. It's just outsourcing.
You and your FG chums are the criminal element.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
To FG the UK is practically the mother country anyway, maybe they see it like that.

Inmates should have right to be incarcerated as reasonably close to family as possible, especially young people and children. Besides it's a different country, they have not committed a crime in the UK so the UK has no right to detain them, it's kidnapping.

Is it any different for any other party?

The Irish state has always treated the UK as if it is home territory, so that Irish citizens take it as normal that they can move freely to and from the UK, getting to live and work as if they are UK citizens.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies