Young Irish people are amongst most religious in Europe.

Wascurito

Despite the recent decline in religious practice, Irish people in the 16-29 age group are still amongst the most religious in Europe. 59% describe themselves as Christians, the third highest total in Europe.

31 per cent of them pray weekly and a similar percentage never pray. 39% describe themselves as being of "No religion" with only young people in Poland, Lithuania, Slovenia, Austria, and Israel reporting lower percentages.

ruserious

Conducted by two catholic universities. I call bollix.

Bill

Israel isn't in Europe

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
So basically 70% of the Irish young people surveyed said they either never pray or declared they had no religion.

Things are looking up. The young 'uns are brighter than the previous generations.

im axeled

i doubt it, in portugal they go around the square in lourds on the ir knees, some even get from their own homes and travel to lourds on their knees, i cannot see many of our youth doing anything similar

Socratus O' Pericles

It is taking time for the superstition to die out here.

Wascurito

Conducted by two catholic universities. I call bollix.
From the article:
"The study uses data from the 2014/16 European Social Survey to compare rates of religious affiliation and practice among young adults across 22 countries."

Socratus O' Pericles

i doubt it, in portugal they go around the square in lourds on the ir knees, some even get from their own homes and travel to lourds on their knees, i cannot see many of our youth doing anything similar
theyd drowned.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If Irish young people between 16 and 29 are supposedly among the most religious in Europe and two thirds of them declared that they never pray or had no religion I think that is an interesting pointer to Europe as a whole.

Cruimh

Hmmmmm - I wonder how many of those included in the Irish sample were in fact Polish ? ;)

And Catholic or Christian, not Roman Catholic. Would be interesting to see what percentage of the supposed 54% would be excluded over red line issues like Birth Control, Sex before marriage, Divorce, Transubstantiation, the perpetual Virginity of Mary, the assumption etc ...

Wascurito

If Irish young people between 16 and 29 are supposedly among the most religious in Europe and two thirds of them declared that they never pray or had no religion I think that is an interesting pointer to Europe as a whole.
If they'd included countries like Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Cyprus, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, and Ukraine, we'd probably be much further down the list.

_FARAH_

If they'd included countries like Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Cyprus, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, and Ukraine, we'd probably be much further down the list.
and Turkiye :cool:

Bill

Was at the Easter thing in chania a couple of years ago, it's a really big deal for them, lots of young people at it.

GDPR

LOL,attendance at mass doesnt equal belief.

I have been accompanying the old wan to mass just so she can show the neighbours. That I havent run away, I am sober, and also to get her out of uncomfortably long post-mass inquisitions by turning the attention to myself, which I find very easy to do.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies