Your Country Your Call Winners

Tony Liar

Neil Leyden, behind the Digital Media Forum has won €100k for his brilliant idea to make Ireland a digital hub in the above competition. The competition was sponsored by Cisco Ireland, whose chairman Kim Majerus also works with Leyden on the gateway Ireland project. Small country eh?

Leyden’s vision to establish an International Digital Services Centre is hardly a very original idea, and sounds remarkably like a proposal Eamon Ryan was pushing last year. The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 22, 2009 - Strategy to create up to 30,000 new 'green' jobs.

I would be very annoyed if I had put some effort into making an original proposal to win this competition.

Thats just woeful, the five winners weren't world beaters but jesus thats just wrong. I'd be really pissed off if i was involved at any stage.

Luigi Vampa

Neil Leyden, behind the Digital Media Forum has won €100k for his brilliant idea to make Ireland a digital hub in the above competition. The competition was sponsored by Cisco Ireland, whose chairman Kim Majerus also works with Leyden on the gateway Ireland project. Small country eh?

Leyden’s vision to establish an International Digital Services Centre is hardly a very original idea, and sounds remarkably like a proposal Eamon Ryan was pushing last year. The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 22, 2009 - Strategy to create up to 30,000 new 'green' jobs.
What a surprise. FF cronyism wins again.

seabhac siulach

The standard of the winners can be judged by the fact that an entry with an 'idea' to put photovoltaic cells in every Irish windfarm made it to the final. The final!
This suggestion was pure idiocy, considering the lack of sunlight in Ireland. Any electricity produced would have been hideously expensive. It would not be possible without a massive green subsidy, i.e. making negative money for Ireland. Did this entrant not wonder why such an obvious idea had not been implemented before by private energy operators? Did the judges?
This entry, surely representative of the others (i.e. all being mere speculative ideas), suggests the whole competition was little more than a sham...in my opinion.

dalywise

I think the other is a data warehousing proposal and that's already happening all over the place. I thought this competition was for something new and innovative. If I thought you could copy ideas from abroad I'd have submitted 20.

PrinceMax

I can't believe my idea to flog dirt cheap houses to reasonably well off retiring Americans didn't make it.

MsAnneThrope

I would be very annoyed if I had put some effort into making an original proposal to win this competition.
Would that be the same Neil Leyden that Eamon Ryan appointed to the new Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Committee (previously the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) and the Broadcasting Complaints Commission (BCC)), in November 2009?

Guangzhoutom

I have to sat, having (like a complete eejit) put a lot of effort into my submission, this is a bit galling. I was trying not to be bitter at not even having got to the final, but if this is true about Leyden being so well connected, it's very disappointing.

Tony Liar

I had a great plan. It involved buying property over the market value in the believe that the same property has a long term economic value. I would then sit on the property and keep the market artificially inflated through corrupt policies. Then sell the property in 10 years. I even got the ECB to agree to fund it.

I was told my idea was daft, I thought they meant the website, so i was excited. Never heard back from them.

MsAnneThrope

Now that is bloody interesting.
Contract Awards Committee

The Contracts Awards Committee comprises eight members, four of whom are appointed by the Government, with the remaining four being appointed by the Authority, two of whom are Authority members, and two of whom are to be members of staff of the BAI. The Contracts Award Committee will license independent commercial and community broadcasters including digital television providers. The membership of the committee is as follows:

Siobhán Bourke (Chairperson)
David Barniville S.C.
Eimer McGovern
Neil Leyden

Authority Nominees:

Michael Moriarty
Professor Colum Kenny

BAI Staff Nominees:

Celene Craig
Anne O'Brien
BAI Authority & Committee Members

New Threads