• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Your heroes throughout history?

Drogheda445

Given the huge diversity of opinions and viewpoints on Politics.ie, I thought it would be interesting to hear who, throughout human history, have inspired you or who you admire and look up to. Bear in mind that this can include people from all walks of life, and is not restricted to political figures or leaders.

My own list of heroes include people from a political and apolitical background:

- John Hume: A man I hugely admire for going against the tide of radicalism and sectarian hatred, and who was solely interested in equality and the achievement of a lasting peace in war-ravaged Northern Ireland. I think he absolutely deserves the title of Ireland's Greatest as of all the Irish politicians of the 20th century his was a truly admirable cause and his legacy, along with those of unionist peacemakers, is one of peace and cooperation.

- Martin Luther King Jr: A hero many people will probably also share, as his commitment to civil rights makes him an embodiment of the struggle for equality across the world, and his vision for a future without prejudice is a admirable one.

- Carl Sagan: An unsung hero and visionary whose commitment to spreading the message of science and of the Cosmos I hold in very high regard. As a person who shares his interest in astronomy I think his recognition of our place in the vastness of the Universe and how this remoteness warrants cooperation rather than division is one that is often forgotten amongst so many people here on Earth.

- Lionel Messi: Probably not a hero in the sense that he has left a huge legacy but his amazing skill combined with his brilliant sportsmanship is often so rare in soccer.

- Nicolaus Copernicus: In the face of scientific repression, his commitment to the heliocentric theory (the belief that the Sun, not the Earth, is the centre of the Solar System) helped to kick start the Scientific Revolution which has brought us to where we are today. I think he is a role model for leading inquiry and questioning what many perceive to be the given, even if it goes in the face of deeply held assumptions.

These are just a few of the figures in history that I hold in high regard. What are yours?

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
Seamus Ennis

ruserious

Thomas Francis Meagher. For his service to the nation in bringing the tricolour to Ireland, adventures to Australia and on to America and his part in the US civil war where he founded the fighting 69th regiment of NYC before becoming Governor of Montana.
Some man for one man.

JohnD66

There really are no heroes in my opinion just flawed people often doing the best they can.

There are plenty of real villains though.

Aristodemus

Ernest Shackleton

drummed

My all time hero:

[video=youtube_share;RZvCK2o6Zbo]http://youtu.be/RZvCK2o6Zbo[/video]

Ribeye

Dr Ronald Ernest Paul

between the bridges

Colonel Zachariah Tiffin.

The Inniskillings came into official existance on 20th June 1689, the date of Major Zachariah Tiffin's commission as Colonel as one of the three regiments of foot formed in Enniskillen.

owedtojoy

Given the huge diversity of opinions and viewpoints on Politics.ie, I thought it would be interesting to hear who, throughout human history, have inspired you or who you admire and look up to. Bear in mind that this can include people from all walks of life, and is not restricted to political figures or leaders.

My own list of heroes include people from a political and apolitical background:

- John Hume: A man I hugely admire for going against the tide of radicalism and sectarian hatred, and who was solely interested in equality and the achievement of a lasting peace in war-ravaged Northern Ireland. I think he absolutely deserves the title of Ireland's Greatest as of all the Irish politicians of the 20th century his was a truly admirable cause and his legacy, along with those of unionist peacemakers, is one of peace and cooperation.

- Martin Luther King Jr: An hero many people will probably also share, as his commitment to civil rights makes him and embodiment of the struggle for equality across the world, and his vision for a future without prejudice is a admirable one.

- Carl Sagan: An unsung hero and visionary whose commitment to spreading the message of science and of the Cosmos I hold in very high regard. As a person who shares his interest in astronomy I think his recognition of our place in the vastness of the Universe and how this remoteness warrants cooperation rather than division is one that is often forgotten amongst so many people here on Earth.

- Lionel Messi: Probably not a hero in the sense that he has left a huge legacy but his amazing skill combined with his brilliant sportsmanship is often so rare in soccer.

- Nicolaus Copernicus: In the face of scientific repression, his commitment to the heliocentric theory (the belief that the Sun, not the Earth, is the centre of the Solar System) helped to kick start the Scientific Revolution which has brought us to where we are today. I think he is a role model for leading inquiry and questioning what many perceive to be the given, even if it goes in the face of deeply held assumptions.

These are just a few of the figures in history that I hold in high regard. What are yours?
In politics, one man stands out for me: Abraham Lincoln

In science, it would have to be Charles Darwin.

(Coincidentally, both men were born on the same date in February 1809, and both burst on the public scene at much the same time. The Origin of Species was published in 1859, and Lincoln was elected President of the United States in 1860.)

In literature, my hero would be George Orwell (Eric Blair).

In sport, Mike Gibson, the great rugby centre of the 1970s.

Lesser lights (heroes with flaws) are Winston Churchill, Franklin D Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, Daniel O'Connell, Albert Einstein, Richard Feynmann, Sean Purcell (Galway footballer of the 1960s), John Maynard Keynes and Garrett Fitzgerald.

All my heroes have passed away, except for Gibson.

GDPR

And no one mentions JFK or Bobby.
I think the world lost a lot when it lost both of them.

Campion

"Unhappy is the land that needs a hero." Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo