Your not so spare appendix

ger12

It never made sense to me that the appendix was an organ of no use. I reckon every organ has it's role in the most complicated, intricate and marvelous structure of the human body.

Researchers have recently found appendixes were linked with higher concentrations of lymphoid tissue in the cecum and suggest the appendix may play an important role in the immune system as a secondary defensive organ.

It just might act as a “safe house” for helpful gut bacteria due to its high level of lymphatic tissue and concluded it evolves as part of a larger complex which includes the cecum.

Now for ya ...

Why your appendix may have an important biological function after all | BreakingNews.ie

Ellen Ripley

We always needed all our bits. :)

From 2007:
What does the appendix do? finally an answer!

They used to routinely remove tonsils from children if frequently inflamed, now it's recognised that they're the first line of defence against infection, and tonsillectomy is usually a last resort.

Karloff

Never mind the appendix, i want to be able to close my ears! Hey God can we get an update? We no longer live in jungles.

GDPR

Never mind the appendix, i want to be able to close my ears! Hey God can we get an update? We no longer live in jungles.
Play rugby, second row, job done.

Mind you, like atheists in foxholes, you won't find many vegans in there.

corporal punishment

Mine made a bid for freedom in June and nearly took me with it. Instead of the usual severe pain and nausea, I had a dull ache and flu like symptoms. 2 weeks later I had a cyst the size of an orange - consultants words - removed and nearly didn't make it according to a blabby nurse who told me more than she should have. 2 and a half hours in surgery.

ger12

Mine ruptured 3 years ago.

Am I doomed? :(
Not doomed I hope. I had my tonsils and adenoids out as a child, I reckon they too have a function like the appendix.

When you think about it, I wonder at the arrogance of surgeons whipping out organs assuring us that they don't do anything ...

RepublicOfLuas

Mine made a bid for freedom in June and nearly took me with it. Instead of the usual severe pain and nausea, I had a dull ache and flu like symptoms. 2 weeks later I had a cyst the size of an orange - consultants words - removed and nearly didn't make it according to a blabby nurse who told me more than she should have. 2 and a half hours in surgery.
Ouch. Mine just became inflamed one day. Only thing I can think of as a potential trigger was the circuit training I took part in the day before. I hadn't done any exercise in about 5 years at that stage and was 17 stone.
Mine ruptured moments before they made the incision to take it out. It was supposed to be routine key-hole, but they had to perform emmergency open surgery. I was left with it un-stitched and open (held together with 5 staples) for about 8 weeks until it healed itself. Had to go to hospital every day to get the dressing removed and wound cleaned for 4 weeks, then had to do it myself until the skin healed up.
Two months later, I developed a small hernia around the area. That was 3 years ago.
The hernia was only repaired 9 months ago (after so many frustrating f**k ups in the the hospital). A new hernia occured 2 days after the repair, while I was still in the hospital bed recovering. I wasn't provided with any help when I had to change wards 3 times in 1 week while recovering and getting up out of the bed to change wards the first time I felt a tear and sharp pain around the area.
That was in May.
I tried to tell the nurses, doctors, surgeons and even consultants. But they don't listen. They sent me home with two drains collecting fluid and blood from the wound. I had them connected for a week before I was called in to have them removed. I pointed out the new lump to the doctors, they told me they'd book me in for a scan.
I'm still waiting on a scan and I'm told I won't get one for another 6 months, even though the doctor said he suspects my bowel is sticking out through my stomach muscles.

Ireland 2017.
:)

corporal punishment

Ouch. Mine just became inflamed one day. Only thing I can think of as a potential trigger was the circuit training I took part in the day before. I hadn't done any exercise in about 5 years at that stage and was 17 stone.
Mine ruptured moments before they made the incision to take it out. It was supposed to be routine key-hole, but they had to perform emmergency open surgery. I was left with it un-stitched and open (held together with 5 staples) for about 8 weeks until it healed itself. Had to go to hospital every day to get the dressing removed and wound cleaned for 4 weeks, then had to do it myself until the skin healed up.
Two months later, I developed a small hernia around the area. That was 3 years ago.
The hernia was only repaired 9 months ago (after so many frustrating f**k ups in the the hospital). A new hernia occured 2 days after the repair, while I was still in the hospital bed recovering. I wasn't provided with any help when I had to change wards 3 times in 1 week while recovering and getting up out of the bed to change wards the first time I felt a tear and sharp pain around the area.
That was in May.
I tried to tell the nurses, doctors, surgeons and even consultants. But they don't listen. They sent me home with two drains collecting fluid and blood from the wound. I had them connected for a week before I was called in to have them removed. I pointed out the new lump to the doctors, they told me they'd book me in for a scan.
I'm still waiting on a scan and I'm told I won't get one for another 6 months, even though the doctor said he suspects my bowel is sticking out through my stomach muscles.

Ireland 2017.
Jesus, you'd have been better off having a go yourself with a youtube video for guidance. I take it your not VHI positive.

RepublicOfLuas

Jesus, you'd have been better off having a go yourself with a youtube video for guidance. I take it your not VHI positive.
I've genuinely considered that. No joke.

No insurance or medical card. I'm in the Goldielocks zone of earnings. Earn too much to get a medical card and insurance won't go near me until I get it fixed.

It never made sense to me that the appendix was an organ of no use. I reckon every organ has it's role in the most complicated, intricate and marvelous structure of the human body.

Researchers have recently found appendixes were linked with higher concentrations of lymphoid tissue in the cecum and suggest the appendix may play an important role in the immune system as a secondary defensive organ.

It just might act as a “safe house” for helpful gut bacteria due to its high level of lymphatic tissue and concluded it evolves as part of a larger complex which includes the cecum.

Now for ya ...

Why your appendix may have an important biological function after all | BreakingNews.ie
The "marvellous structure"?

What about the pharynx? The narrow birth canal? The dual use genital structure in females which leads to UTIs? Our dodgy backs, knees and feet - not adequately developed for bipedal posture? Our eyes with that blind spot?

There is more.

We're just about good enough, but don't have a "marvelous structure" by any means. Our genes direct us to believing it to be a thing of beauty, which is another fail - cognitive bias.

LawAndOrdure

That was in May.

Ireland 2017.
You have my genuine sympathy :eek:. After a lifetime spent wondering if every bad stomach was appendicitis, when mine finally arrived it went unrecognised, mild and manageable with OTC analgesics. That went the cyst route which meant a difficult time in hospital then a medium term drain and the odd relapse after release. I thought then that the whole sequence from A&E waiting room to eventual appendectomy was chaotic, disorganised and unsupportive but at least in my case it was the process rather than the staff or the treatment. Your experience is disgraceful though, surely verging on potential litigation ?

Interesting that you should suggest the circuit training as a possible trigger. I had a cold a few days before the onset and there's some evidence to suggest that either a cold can be an early warning or can reduce the immune system to the point where bacterial infection can take hold. I was also contorted trying to squeeze into the back seat of a car on the way to a meeting on the day in question and wondered if something had snapped or torn then. All a moot point now I suppose.

Since then most people I've talked to who had appendicitis were diagnosed late; for a relatively common serious complaint it frequently slips under the radar.

ger12

The "marvellous structure"?

What about the pharynx? The narrow birth canal? The dual use genital structure in females which leads to UTIs? Our dodgy backs, knees and feet - not adequately developed for bipedal posture? Our eyes with that blind spot?

There is more.

We're just about good enough, but don't have a "marvelous structure" by any means. Our genes direct us to believing it to be a thing of beauty, which is another fail - cognitive bias.
And there was me thinking we were streets ahead of all the other living creatures on this planet :shock:

corporal punishment

You have my genuine sympathy :eek:. After a lifetime spent wondering if every bad stomach was appendicitis, when mine finally arrived it went unrecognised, mild and manageable with OTC analgesics. That went the cyst route which meant a difficult time in hospital then a medium term drain and the odd relapse after release. I thought then that the whole sequence from A&E waiting room to eventual appendectomy was chaotic, disorganised and unsupportive but at least in my case it was the process rather than the staff or the treatment. Your experience is disgraceful though, surely verging on potential litigation ?

Interesting that you should suggest the circuit training as a possible trigger. I had a cold a few days before the onset and there's some evidence to suggest that either a cold can be an early warning or can reduce the immune system to the point where bacterial infection can take hold. I was also contorted trying to squeeze into the back seat of a car on the way to a meeting on the day in question and wondered if something had snapped or torn then. All a moot point now I suppose.

Since then most people I've talked to who had appendicitis were diagnosed late; for a relatively common serious complaint it frequently slips under the radar.
I spent two weeks hanging wallpaper, cutting grass, lying upside down in the footwell of the wife's car changing light fuses with my Appendix slowly leaking into a Cyst. Only when I sneezed going upstairs and almost collapsed and fell back down with the pain did I suspect something wasn't right.

Dedogs

That was in May.

Ireland 2017.
your doctors da was a truck driver.... :D:D:D only slaggin mate.... ;););)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies