Your pick of 11 Senators in 2011

civilserpant

With a new Government due in, say, March 2011, so too will the Taoiseach appoint his 11 men and women. The idea behind this was originally to ensure minorities (ie the unionist/protestants community in 30's Ireland). Its now merely another bargaining tool in making up a Goverment, divided between the parties.

FG and Lab have a chance, which they won't take in all likelihood, to appoint some citizens of stature to the Seanad , and make two of them Ministers, if they wished. It might be the last Seanad, though I can't see FG winning that referendum. But which 11 people would you pick in 2011?

(I'm assuming Shane Ross, Norris and Bacik will be re-elected as part of the University 6 seats,a nd Eugene Regan via the normal election process).

My eleven, featuring a mix of left and right, would be (and i know not one of these will be picked):

Morgan Kelly - economist who got more right than any other. Slam dunk appointee.

Fintan O'Toole - ok, this is a 2 fingers to Harris, sometimes OTT, but generally a reasoned, intelligent contributer to discourse.

I would have said Maurice Nelligan (RIP), but John Crowne (of Vincents Hospital) would be an excellent appointee representing compassionate health sector issues.

John Bruton, Dick Spring and Alan Dukes all have vast leadership experience, coupled with a bit of distance from their time in Government and now extensive private sector experience to boot. While contrasting opinions are plenty on their performances, particularly Dukes and Spring more recently, they are people with a wealth of knowledge to contribute. John bruton, with his EU and American experience is an extremely obvious choice.

Mary Robinson: I am unsure if she would be interested anymore with the global nature of her role, but she is a lady with vast diplomatic skills, a strong sense of public duty, and if she is in a place where she wants to step back from global activism, she could bring a good world view to the Oireachtas, plus, she was a superb senator before.

Pat Cox: Once again, massive experience on the EU stage, huge connections, excellent analysis and I'd love to see him hands on involved in irish politics.

Fergus Finlay: leaving aside his Labour connections, the man is a genuine advocate for the weakest and poorest in our society. He understand poliics and understands poverty after years with Bernardos.

My final two... and whats missing is youth... (ahem)

I would like the exiting-President of USI hold the seat, until the next sabattical officer replaces him/her. Yes, for every Pat Rabbitte as President of USI there has been a Colman Byrne, but what i think is important is that a genuine youth spokesperson, speaking for 150k (or howmany there are) students has a voice in the Oireachtas. After all, thats what the Seanad was meant for. I say the exiting President, as it ensures a constant rotation of the occupant, where if it were the sitting President, they might stay in hock for years. Gary Redmond would be a good first choice.

Final choice, someone to represent the immigrant community in Ireland, who have too small a voice, too limited a franchise and who are some of the most dynamic go getters and start ups in the country.

Left: Fintan O'Toole, Mary Robinson, John Crowne, Fergus Finlay, Dick Spring
Right: Pat Cox, John Bruton, Alan Dukes,
Middle: USI President, Immigrant rep, Morgan Kelly

Course, what we'll get is 6 FG and 5 Lab failed election candidates.. but who'd you choose?

Last edited:

redger

With a new Government due in, say, March 2011, so too will the Taoiseach appoint his 11 men and women. The idea behind this was originally to ensure minorities (ie the unionist/protestants community in 30's Ireland). Its now merely another bargaining tool in making up a Goverment, divided between the parties.

FG and Lab have a chance, which they won't take in all likelihood, to appoint some citizens of stature to the Seanad , and make two of them Ministers, if they wished. It might be the last Seanad, though I can't see FG winning that referendum. But which 11 people would you pick in 2011?

(I'm assuming Shane Ross, Norris and Bacik will be re-elected as part of the University 6 seats,a nd Eugene Regan via the normal election process).

My eleven, featuring a mix of left and right, would be (and i know not one of these will be picked):

Morgan Kelly - economist who got more right than any other. Slam dunk appointee.

Fintan O'Toole - ok, this is a 2 fingers to Harris, sometimes OTT, but generally a reasoned, intelligent contributer to discourse.

I would have said Maurice Nelligan (RIP), but John Crowne (of Vincents Hospital) would be an excellent appointee representing compassionate health sector issues.

John Bruton, Dick Spring and Alan Dukes all have vast leadership experience, coupled with a bit of distance from their time in Government and now extensive private sector experience to boot. While contrasting opinions are plenty on their performances, particularly Dukes and Spring more recently, they are people with a wealth of knowledge to contribute. John bruton, with his EU and American experience is an extremely obvious choice.

Mary Robinson: I am unsure if she would be interested anymore with the global nature of her role, but she is a lady with vast diplomatic skills, a strong sense of public duty, and if she is in a place where she wants to step back from global activism, she could bring a good world view to the Oireachtas, plus, she was a superb senator before.

Pat Cox: Once again, massive experience on the EU stage, huge connections, excellent analysis and I'd love to see him hands on involved in irish politics.

Fergus Finlay: leaving aside his Labour connections, the man is a genuine advocate for the weakest and poorest in our society. He understand poliics and understands poverty after years with Bernardos.

My final two... and whats missing is youth... (ahem)

I would like the exiting-President of USI hold the seat, until the next sabattical officer replaces him/her. Yes, for every Pat Rabbitte as President of USI there has been a Colman Byrne, but what i think is important is that a genuine youth spokesperson, speaking for 150k (or howmany there are) students has a voice in the Oireachtas. After all, thats what the Seanad was meant for. I say the exiting President, as it ensures a constant rotation of the occupant, where if it were the sitting President, they might stay in hock for years. Gary Redmond would be a good first choice.

Final choice, someone to represent the immigrant community in Ireland, who have too small a voice, too limited a franchise and who are some of the most dynamic go getters and start ups in the country.

Left: Fintan O'Toole, Mary Robinson, John Crowne, Fergus Finlay, Dick Spring
Right: Pat Cox, John Bruton, Alan Dukes,
Middle: USI President, Immigrant rep, Morgan Kelly

Course, what we'll get is 6 FG and 5 Lab failed election candidates.. but who'd you choose?

I would expect that Bacik will be elected to the Dail instead, so there will be someone new from Trinity.

I would have thought Dr. Michael Somers would be someone worthy of it - a public servant who actually did his job properly, understands what is going on, puts the national interest first, and tells the blunt truth. Also John O'Shea and John Lonergan - national figures not afraid to come out and say it, who tell the truth, and have public respect. I totally concur with Bruton, Robinson, Spring, Dukes, Cox, O'Toole. What about John Waters? What about Paul Sweeney, a left wing economist, in conjunction with a few of those mentioned, so that at least we get 4 or 5 economic perspectives in the debate. No more Solicitors, Teachers, auctioneers, publicans please.

Sierra

I would expect that many, such as Morgan Kelly, would have absolutely no interest in partaking in the Senate - unless of course he was to receive a cabinet portfolio . . . and I cannot see that happening too easily, especially given the fact that FG & Labour will be fighting for positions at the cabinet table as it is. Id appoint him if I could though!

i guess no harm to have fun on this one, but really there is no way of knowing until after the election. the reality is that while we continue to have the electoral system we have, parties will use it to springboard potential tds. So many of the labour people who would get elected on a gilmore gale, but not if it bursts somehwhat will be senators. Susan O'Keefee, Jerry Cowley and the like.

so, i am just going to give a dream team. A team of people who reflect different strands of civic life in ireland. in other words, what the seanad was actually meant to be about. here is six for starters....:

Michael O'Leary (ryanair) - a mentalist in many ways, but brave. also, a real entrepreunear, not someone who is part of the cosy caretel...
David Begg (ICTU) - reasonable for a trade unionist, and a genuine social democrat with a vision of society beyond 'more money for my members'
Eanna Ni Lamhna - A genuine environmentalist, but very down to earth and practical, not finger wagging like alot of (well meaning) but lecturing An Taisce types.
Katie Taylor (boxer) - a fantastic role model, in particular for girls, for working class girls. Would help to put the importance of sport and activity on the map.
Brian Cody (Kilkenny Hurling manager) - anyone that can produce such a record of success must be worth considering?
Aideen Hayden (Threshold) - Always a reasonable voice on social inclusion.

Watcher2

I would like to pick them all........and give them a good kick where it hurts and then brick up the building so none of them could return.

As for the chances of FG getting the referendum passed to abolish the Seanad.....I think there is all likelihood that it would indeed get passed by the electorate. It serves the people of Ireland no real value. Sadly though, I dont see Enda actually organising that particular referendum. I think he is merely engaging in good old fashioned sound bites.

civilserpant

I would expect that many, such as Morgan Kelly, would have absolutely no interest in partaking in the Senate - unless of course he was to receive a cabinet portfolio . . . and I cannot see that happening too easily, especially given the fact that FG & Labour will be fighting for positions at the cabinet table as it is. Id appoint him if I could though!
Don't 'necessarily' agree. Maurice Manning, Norris and many others have double jobbed lecturing and being a Senator.

You'd be surprised at how the lure of being given a big platform to contribute to the public good can entice people.

Aristodemus

It seems Eoghan harris has revised his opinion of Fine Gael in his last column so I expect him to ingratiate himself with the new regime in a bid to hold onto his sinecure. No suggestion that he might ever face an electorate of course.

On_The_Far_Right

Fergus Finlay would be an excellent choice, especially if he doesnt get nomination for Presidency.

Id like to see more Unionist representation, and effective advocate for Gays/Lesbians, especially if Norris were to become President!!

Given Irelands significant demographic and immigration changes over last 2 decades, we need to have eastern europeans and other nationalities in the Seanad.

Definitely a few hard hitters like Pat Cox and John Bruton would be welcome, but I dont thing EK would want his ministerial team to be overshadowed!!

We should also try get a few younger people in there too!! Students union representatives would be an interesting idea!!

I just wish I was a black gay unionist female aged 25 - Id be a cert!!! lol Alas Im not!!

Maureen Murphy 1234

11 senators

lucinda creighton, joe otoole, eaghan, harris, ruairi quinn, mary hanifin, joe behan, mary orourke, paddy burke, john carty, liam cosgrave, miriam o callaghan

civilserpant

Isnt fg in favor of scrapping the useless senate
Yup, but thats a major constitutional change and might well fail at referendum. There will still be a Seanad from the 2011 election until the subsequent one is called, so the premise of the thread stands. Which 11 would you pick - 'in the national interest'

Rocket Man

Here's my 11:
Garrett Fitzgerald
David McWilliams
Padraig O' Ceidigh
Mary Robinson
Fintan O' Toole
Emily O' Reilly
Catherine McGuinness
John Lonergan
Mary Davis
Fergus Finlay
Mary Bryne....well why not, she would be as good as most of the current lot

Last edited:

cllr

I thought former USI Presidents just went on to work in USI.

On the more serious point of Youth Representation which I would support however I do not think that USI could be considered to represent the breath of young people and youth in the country.

Goldencircle

looks like our Tonic missed his chance for another few years

Tea Party Patriot

Fine Gale should appoint:
Declan Ganley
Michael O'Leary
Peter Schiff
Dan O'Brien
Michael McDowell
Ivan Yeats

All of the above would ensure that the government had to move in the right direction. Didn't name the other five as I assume they would be high tax Labour appointees. Can't see any of the above being appointed in reality, they might actually question the fiscal policy of the day.

Expect in reality the usual mixture of party hacks and aprentice TDs, and maybe one surprise who lost his seat because he didn't use the parish pump.

civilserpant

I thought former USI Presidents just went on to work in USI.

On the more serious point of Youth Representation which I would support however I do not think that USI could be considered to represent the breath of young people and youth in the country.
well, open to ideas, but better than the national youth council.

mido

eoghan harris, brendan o connor, aeonghus fanning, anne harris, , shane coleman , stephen collins, geraldine kennedy, noel whelan, ryan tubridy, dan o brien, david davin power - this is the list of nominees for FF post the election- I am sure they will reward thoes who have supported them to date and am safe in the knowledge that as pigs fly, so they will be rewarded

ppcoyle

If the reason the Taoiseach gets to pick 11 senators was originally to ensure minorities (ie the unionist/protestants community in 30's Ireland) were represented politically, then he/she should think outside the political box of potential candidates. With this in mind I have choosen 11 people who have had success in different areas and have not included any former politicians (they have had their chance). My selection tries to cover a number of diverse areas - arts, culture, music, business, social issues:

Seamas Heaney (Nobel Prize winning poet)
David O’Reilly (Former CEO of Chevron)
Jim O’Hara (Head of Intel Ireland)
Patricia Casey (Professor of Psychiatry UCD)
Neil Jordan (Award winning film director)
Paul McGuiness (Successful pop impresario)
Marian Keyes (Successful novelist)
Liam O’Mahoney (Former CEO of CRH)
Gerry Robertson (Successful businessman from Donegal)
Mike Gibson (Great sportsman)
Liam Griffin (Former manager of Wexford hurling team and hotelier)

I believe that people such as those listed could help bring an 'outsider' to political dialogue. The 11 choosen by the Taoiseach should ideally not have been involved in mainstream politics before. Nor should they have been self publicists to an excessive degree.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies