Zimbabwe woman living in direct provision is Clare Woman of the year

statsman

Interesting story, this. Donnah Vuma, who works closely with the excellent Reverend Vicki Lynch in Central Buildings in Limerick has been named the Clare Woman of the Year by the Soroptimist International Ennis and District Club. Vuma has done some fine work build links between the residents of the Knockalisheen direct Provision centre and the wider Clare/Limerick community, and I'm delighted to see her getting recognition.

Also interesting to see Soroptimist International being more active here.

Donnah crowned Woman of the Year – The Clare Champion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soroptimist_International#Founding_and_history

PBP voter

Why do white Zimbabweans never end up as refugees?

Many have other passports of course but many don't.

Do they simply go through the proper channels and get their visas?

Analyzer

Award given by whom exactly, & according to whom ?

The Soroptimist International ?

Never heard of them. And by what stretch of their imagination do the have the credibility to give questionable "awards" like this ?

Their wikipedia, despite being considerably softened, indicates a definite agenda.

redhead

Good to see, particularly as it means those in direct provision are being considered as part of the community, which given the length of stay of some of them seems only fair.

Perhaps it will help highlight the appalling way the state manages the welfare of those seeking asylum.

Sync

Never heard of them. And by what stretch of their imagination do the have the credibility to give questionable "awards" like this ?
"My ignorance casts doubt on the veracity of this entire thing!"

redhead

Soroptimists have been around longer than most women's groups.

Vega1447

Interesting story, this. Donnah Vuma, who works closely with the excellent Reverend Vicki Lynch in Central Buildings in Limerick has been named the Clare Woman of the Year by the Soroptimist International Ennis and District Club. Vuma has done some fine work build links between the residents of the Knockalisheen direct Provision centre and the wider Clare/Limerick community, and I'm delighted to see her getting recognition.

Naive question but I'll ask anyway.
Zimbabwe has now got rid of Mugabe.

Why not return home?

Analyzer

"My ignorance casts doubt on the veracity of this entire thing!"
Well that explains your entire approach to current allegations about Corbyn.

Your ignorance is much deeper than even your conceit.

I am asking serious questions about an entity that issues an award, that is supposed to be seen outside a restricted context, when really it should be seen in the context of the agenda of the Soroptimist International.

This is a bacslapping exercise.

razorblade

Why don't Zimbabweans stay and rebuild their country after the departure of Mugabe.

hollandia

It certainly puts paid to the lie that all immigrants are freeloading benefits scroungers. About time the positives are accentuated. Well done Clare. (You have no idea how much it hurts to praise anything that comes out of Clare).

nationalsday

Their wikipedia, despite being considerably softened, indicates a definite agenda.
Even a google brings up this

"Soroptism International is a womens friendship and service organisation for women in management and the professions that works to advance the status of women."

So therefore it is just the same as the Freemasons in reverse

Do they allow men to join in this great age of gender equality?

The Cylon

Why don't Zimbabweans stay and rebuild their country after the departure of Mugabe.
One time a Kuwaiti said to me, after he nearly killed me on the highway, that I should have more respect for Kuwaitis considering I come to their country and eat their bread. He was a knob too...

Casablanca

I’ve heard of the great work that the Rev Vicki Lynch is doing in Limerick with those in direct provision, who are effectively living in limbo for years.

It’s good to see that this clergywoman from one of the christian communities is facilitating the integration and outreach work undertaken by Donnah Vuma.

Well done to all concerned and the Soroptimists for recognising it.

Last edited:

Lagertha

Give me a break. This woman has arrived here illegally. We've been paying for her and her 3 kids for 3 years and some twat decides to honour her for being here illegally and for raising money for more illegal migrants who have no right to asylum here. Fools. How many safe countries did she fly over to get here. What airport did she have to change at to get here. Can't be too poor if she can afford flights from Africa for herself and the kids.

redhead

Even a google brings up this

"Soroptism International is a womens friendship and service organisation for women in management and the professions that works to advance the status of women."

So therefore it is just the same as the Freemasons in reverse

Do they allow men to join in this great age of gender equality?
So two sentences on Google and you feel expert enough to suggest they need to amend their constitution?

Firstly, the Freemasons allow women.

Secondly, they are nothing like the Freemasons, they are an old charity set up as a result of the suffragette movement at a time when few women worked. Maybe they should now allow men to join, maybe they even do. If you're interested why don't you actually find out.

tigerben

Donnah Vuma, who is from Zimbabwe, has lived in Knockalisheen with her young family for more than three years, while she waits for her asylum application to be processed.
I sure she had her application processed and after three years I’m sure it’s probably on the 1st , 2nd or third appeal.

Casablanca

The Soroptimists are more like The Lions Club than anything else and have done fantastic work for the marginalised down the decades in Ireland without making a big show of it.

mr_anderson

Give me a break. This woman has arrived here illegally. We've been paying for her and her 3 kids for 3 years and some twat decides to honour her for being here illegally and for raising money for more illegal migrants who have no right to asylum here. Fools. How many safe countries did she fly over to get here. What airport did she have to change at to get here. Can't be too poor if she can afford flights from Africa for herself and the kids.
But ... but ... but ... wacism.

New Threads

Most Replies