Zionism forces the resignation of Professor Peter Schafer from the Berlin Jewish Museum.

Golah veNekhar

Anyone who has any serious interest in the history of Jewish thought and Religion will automatically know who Peter Schafer is so this extremely major. If such an important figure, the author indeed of "Judaeophobia: Attitudes towards the Jews in the ancient world", "The Mirror of His Beauty", "The Origins of Jewish Mysticism" and "Jesus in the Talmud" no less, can be pressured out of a very well deserved position over such a trifle by Zionism it raises ominous questions. Until someone alerted me this I had no idea about his politics and still don't- he is a very reserved, serious minded and dignified human being so I presumed that he would not subscribe to the versions of Zionism we see on display on this forum and I still do not know much about his politics. He is seventy six and not aggressive at all as a personality so I cannot blame him for not fighting.

...."Last Friday, director of the Jewish Museum in Berlin Peter Schäfer, a highly-respected scholar of Jewish studies who took the position in 2014, announced his resignation after coming under severe pressure by Jewish community leaders in Germany and the Israeli government, who have accused the museum of engaging in what they deem to be anti-Israel and anti-Jewish activities.

Schäfer’s forced resignation came following a tweet by the museum on June 6 endorsing an article in the progressive German daily Die Tageszeitung, which reported on a letter signed by 240 Jewish and Israeli scholars of anti-Semitism and the Holocaust who reject the notion that BDS is equivalent to anti-Semitism. The letter was submitted to the government after the resolution, urging it not to formally implement it; the scholars argued that drawing that equivalence is not effective and even undermines the fight against anti-Semitism...."

In Germany, the anti-BDS zeitgeist has taken over | +972 Magazine

Dame_Enda

There is full-on McCarthyism against the BDS movement in Germany, including as we have also seen in other countries, against Jewish supporters of BDS. In Germany's case the postwar political Establishment has long been ultra-sensitive on criticism of Israel because of a misplaced idea that Israel = the Jewish people and that therefore criticism of Israel is anti-Jewish. This concept is dispelled by the role of prominent Jews in the BDS movement. And while not part of the BDS movement, many liberal Jews have had enough of the persecution of the Palestinian people by the fake-democracy called Israel, including Bernie Sanders and Norman Finkelstein.

But the McCarthyites are not having it all their own way. The Dutch government recently refused to ban BDS and declared it to be free speech. Also courts in some US states like Arizona have blocked the BDS laws there. Norway and Sweden are strong critics of Israel's deplorable human rights record.

Golah veNekhar

The problem is obvious: The Israeli government is failing to treat Palestinian people as human beings. What can we do about it? It seems to me that BDS is the least we can do.
The problem goes a lot wider though than the horrific treatment of the indigenous population of Palestine. There was recently a massive conference in Austria which was backed by none other than possible Pope Francis I along with other high ranking European Goyim called "To End Anti-Semitism" which recommended forcing Christian and Islamic Religious institutions to accept Rabbinic Jewish Religious narratives and criminalizing anti-Zionism. Zionism is number one threat to Civic and Religious Liberty in Europe.

An End to Antisemitism! A Catalogue of Policies to Combat Antisemitism

Dame_Enda

Growing rift between Zionism and liberal Jews.

font

The problem is obvious: The Israeli government is failing to treat Palestinian people as human beings.
False accusations of Jews, followed by their prosecution, ended 71 years ago.
What can we do about it?
You can spit at Israel from the distance of several thousands miles and believe, that you hurt the Jewish state. That's what antisermitic trolls are doing here.
It seems to me that BDS is the least we can do
The boycott of Jewish goods was effective in Nazi Germany, but with Israel it doesn't work: the Jewish state is boycotted from the first day of its existence.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

You can spit at Israel from the distance of several thousands miles and believe, that you hurt the Jewish state. That's what antisermitic trolls are doing here.

The boycott of Jewish goods was effective in Nazi Germany, but with Israel it doesn't work: the Jewish state is boycotted from the first day of its existence.
The European Jews were not building settlements and expelling people and shooting demonstrators. Israel has no right to claim parallels between the boycotts of European Jews in the Nazi era and the BDS movement which aim to end Israel's violence against the Palestinians.

Golah veNekhar

Growing rift between Zionism and liberal Jews.
I don't think he is a Liberal Jew. I am under the impression that he is a standard bourgeois Conservative. The time I met him he certainly behaved like one- in the most charming way he seemed to have almost stepped out of the 19 th century.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That counts as evidence of a dangerous Modernism in those circles.

Golah veNekhar

BDS is only incidental to this thread, what this thread is about is Zionism's threat to academic freedom both de lege and de facto in the West. Professor Schafer has given no views on BDS outside of supporting people's right to support it and opposing the conflation of anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. There are other areas of course where Zionism negatively effects others than indigenous Palestinians and the Jews in Palestine who have had their Jewish cultures destroyed and their history suppressed as well as being denied educational opportunities so that they are in a better position to carry the weight of maintaining the colonial "Shoah survival shelter" for corrupt and corrupting "Big Jews" in North America and Western Europe- however to me this is one of the most important ones for personal reasons.

Dame_Enda

Of course they built.

The times, when Jews were said what they can claim and what they cannot, ended 71 years ago.
The State of Israel does not speak for Jews like Bernie Sanders and Norman Finkelstein and many others who - as minorities in western and other countries - understand that those who oppress minorities forget their own history as one.

Dame_Enda

Only the Jewish people decide who speaks for Jews and who doesn't. Antisemitic trolls speak for antisemites only.
There is no such thing as one person who speaks for all Jews or probably even most Jews. Most American Jews vote for the Democratic party, not the Republican party which Bibi is so fond of.

Clanrickard

I don't think he is a Liberal Jew. I am under the impression that he is a standard bourgeois Conservative. The time I met him he certainly behaved like one- in the most charming way he seemed to have almost stepped out of the 19 th century.
This never happened you bigoted fantasist.

Clanrickard

The problem is obvious: The Israeli government is failing to treat Palestinian people as human beings. What can we do about it? It seems to me that BDS is the least we can do.
They treat Palestinians just fine. It's when the Palestinians insist on using violence the problems start.

RasherHash

Quite rightly too.

Clanrickard

Dame_Enda

They treat Palestinians just fine. It's when the Palestinians insist on using violence the problems start.
You should remember our own history in terms of being occupied and having armies shooting at demonstrators and calling the Irish people terrorists during British rule. The Palestinians are experiencing the same.

New Threads

Most Replies